Northern Brewing Kit Shelf Life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKelly

Reaction score
As I am sure many of you are aware, Northern Brewer is currently having a sale on select all grain kits for $20.16 each (if you buy three). I am about to brew my first beer using BIAB and thought maybe a kit would be helpful in learning the new process. However, because you have to buy three kits, I was curious to know if anyone has an idea what kind of shelf life these kits have. Also, how should I store them to extend that as much as possible?

Thanks!

I would imagine if you keep them in a temperate environment and where little critters can't get to the grain it should last for a good while..Kinda curious too as I just ordered 3 of those kits..LOL..Plus I have a couple from a previous order...Man, do I have a stockpile..Gotta get busy with these!(Reminder to self to get off ass and BREW!LOL)

Well I think I'll probably do it and I guessI can report my finds back here. But I was thinking the same thing in that it would last long enough if stored properly

When you buy extract its from them the steeping grains are good, according to the packaging, for up to 6 months. So, I'm guessing the same will hold true with those kits. Grains are grains - you just have more. Get 'em brewed by Father's Day and you should be fine, but yeah - freeze the hops you get upon arrival.

Great, thanks everyone! I was assuming that everything would last long enough, but just wanted to make sure there weren't any weird things that I couldn't think of.

It is a pretty good deal for three kits. As long as you keep the grains dry in a well sealed container they will last for at least a few months.

Are the grains crushed or not?

If the grains are not crushed, they will be fine for a couple of years stored dry. If crushed, they should be fine for 6 months. Main issue is loss of diastatic power for mashing over time.

Hops in freezer, yeast in fridge.

I forgot to report back my findings. The final kit I brewed was 4 months after the date of purchase. Absolutely no issues with shelf life. All my numbers were right on track, and I can safely say it was the best of the three kits by a long shot (black IPA if anyone is interested or still wants to buy stuff from NB)!

Back