So I am starting to resent good beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltwater09

Reaction score
A few years ago in my troubled youth, I could pound Milwaukee's Best Light like there was no tomorrow and enjoy every second that the brew washed over my tongue and laid it's tastyness upon my palate. Ice cold, watery, refreshing, just enough bitter skunk flavor to give it some, well, flavor...

Since starting to drink beer again, and sampling some tasty-ass brews like Guiness extra stout, sierra nevada pale ale, smithwick's irish ale, etc. I have seen the light: cheap american beer frakking sucks, it tastes like bitter piss and looks like it too.

Gone are the days that I can sit down with a $6 12-pack of Beast Light and actually enjoy it. Every time I take a sip of budweiser or miller light, all I can think about is how I wish I wasn't such a cheap ass and just threw down the extra few bucks for a six of Guiness, with it's rich, creamy taste and foamy head that doesn't dissipate until the beer is gone.

DAMN YOU GOOD BEER!!!

welcome to the land of beer snobs.

:D

seriously, not only have i ruined myself for cheap beer, my wife says i've ruined her for cheap beer, and now my in-laws (after sharing some of my homebrew) say that i've ruined THEM for cheap beer.

my friend, life is far too short to drink crappy beer.

saltwater09 said:
Since starting to drink beer again, and sampling some tasty-ass brews like Guiness extra stout, sierra nevada pale ale, smithwick's irish ale, etc. I have seen the light: cheap american beer frakking sucks, it tastes like bitter piss and looks like it too.

DAMN YOU GOOD BEER!!!

And after you start your own you will "settle" for the above named beers when you go out....

you will start seaking out the little known beers. a few years ago I wouldnt even have ordered this . But it wasnt bad with an order of smoked ribs...lol

porkslap-beer.jpg

I guess i'm different.

I LOVE myself a good micro. Going to the extreme with a nice Triple IPA, an Imperial Stout, etc or going with a nice mellow pale ale or amber.

But on a pretty often occassion, I can still find myself enjoying a nice draft of Bud Light or some other macro.

Guess I've yet to become a beer snob or another BMC basher.

BUT, if 2 pints are put in front of me and one is a nice Sierra PA and the other is a Bud Light... well, the bud light will sit there becoming warm.

If I see anything new on tap I always get it. If Stella is there i'm set for the night. It depends where I am on what I get tho. If I am in NJ I drink what I cannot get in NM and vice versa. Shoprite liquors on RT18 in EB impressed me with a nice selection of good beers.

I was the same way until about three years ago. I used to Pound down Natty Ice because it gave me a good buzz even though it tasted like crap. Now....that I realized what real beer tastes like I no longer have to drink piss water.

Prohibition still hurts America today.

Many of the beers crafted for America were made to appease those who might outlaw beer again......or so the story goes.

I completley agree with you. I use to be strictly a miller lite guy. I remember when i first got into tasty beer, i was at a bar with some friends and another friend came in. I think i was drinking a Flying dog snake dog IPA. My friend says, "Dude, where the F*** is your miller lite? You ALWAYS drink miller lite! Every time i see you at a bar or party you have a miller lite in your hand." I then had to give him directions to the funeral, because that part of me was dead.

Stella Artios? It's on tap at a bar I frequent but I have never tried it. I think that will be my next taste.

I'm currently sipping a Sam Adams Brown Lager which blows anything else I know as lager out of the water (Budweiser, Miller, etc.) although, I prefer their brown ale and realized I hate porter (went with a sampler pack after becoming completely overwhelmed with the beer selection at Krogers, entering with the intention of scoring a 6 of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and leaving with something completely different, per usual...)

How does Sam Adams stand up in the world of beer snobs? Pretty decent, or am I cheating myself out of REAL good beer?

Same thing happened to me. In college I drank Natty Light, Yuengling for special occasions. A few months ago, I had a party and people left Bud Light, PBR and Yuengling Light at my place. Down the drain it went...

Here's the funny thing...

I drink a lot of beer, probably too much, but that's another issue. I used to purchase at least 2 cases a beer a week, and sometimes drink 8-10 of them a night (not regulalry, but at least 6 a night).

Since I entered the world of craft beer, I drink a lot LESS beer. The beer I do purchase (on the rare occasion) is a LOT more expensive than the BMC I used to drink, but I have only purchased 2 1/2 cases in the last 5 months. I have 7 full kegs of beer, all of them conditioned and ready to drink (they will of course get better with more time on them) and my kegerator has two taps and holds 6 kegs.

I now enjoy 3-4 pints a night, although that is slowing down as well, since I bought a box of Kronenbourg 250ml glasses.

Of course I am saving a LOT of money (let's say an average of 8 cases (72 litres) a month @ $37 each was $300 a month and now I drink maybe two complete brews (42 litres) in a month, or around $60 per month) but money isn't the point. The point is that now I am drinking GOOD beer, I am drinking less of it, I am enjoying it more, and I am spending less.

A tick in every box!

Welcome to dark side!

saltwater09 said:
Stella Artios? It's on tap at a bar I frequent but I have never tried it. I think that will be my next taste.

I'm currently sipping a Sam Adams Brown Lager which blows anything else I know as lager out of the water (Budweiser, Miller, etc.) although, I prefer their brown ale and realized I hate porter (went with a sampler pack after becoming completely overwhelmed with the beer selection at Krogers, entering with the intention of scoring a 6 of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and leaving with something completely different, per usual...)

How does Sam Adams stand up in the world of beer snobs? Pretty decent, or am I cheating myself out of REAL good beer?

I dont think Im a beer snob but Im not to fond of the average crap anymore. But SA Boston Lager is still my favorite beer I have ever drank.

PeteOz77 said:
Here's the funny thing...

I drink a lot of beer, probably too much, but that's another issue. I used to purchase at least 2 cases a beer a week, and sometimes drink 8-10 of them a night (not regulalry, but at least 6 a night).

Since I entered the world of craft beer, I drink a lot LESS beer. The beer I do purchase (on the rare occasion) is a LOT more expensive than the BMC I used to drink, but I have only purchased 2 1/2 cases in the last 5 months. I have 7 full kegs of beer, all of them conditioned and ready to drink (they will of course get better with more time on them) and my kegerator has two taps and holds 6 kegs.

I now enjoy 3-4 pints a night, although that is slowing down as well, since I bought a box of Kronenbourg 250ml glasses.

Of course I am saving a LOT of money (let's say an average of 8 cases (72 litres) a month @ $37 each was $300 a month and now I drink maybe two complete brews (42 litres) in a month, or around $60 per month) but money isn't the point. The point is that now I am drinking GOOD beer, I am drinking less of it, I am enjoying it more, and I am spending less.

A tick in every box!

Welcome to dark side!

I can relate; drinking good beer makes me want to actually sip and enjoy the flavor rather than gag it down as quickly as possible to get hammered.

saltwater09 said:
A few years ago in my troubled youth, I could pound Milwaukee's Best Light like there was no tomorrow and enjoy every second that the brew washed over my tongue and laid it's tastyness upon my palate. Ice cold, watery, refreshing, just enough bitter skunk flavor to give it some, well, flavor...

Gone are the days that I can sit down with a $6 12-pack of Beast Light and actually enjoy it. Every time I take a sip of budweiser or miller light, all I can think about is how I wish I wasn't such a cheap ass and just threw down the extra few bucks for a six of Guiness, with it's rich, creamy taste and foamy head that doesn't dissipate until the beer is gone.

DAMN YOU GOOD BEER!!!

So....I live about 30 miles from Chippewa Falls, WI. That is where Leinenkugels originated. I grew up in Wisconsin, and watched many a local brewery fade. I certainly was not paying attention as I could always find something else.

Last fall I woke up.

So today..I walk into my local store and see Leinie's Original on sale. Not a bad price for the case of beer. No, I am done with it. Not a terrible beer, but my liver can only handle X amount in my lifetime and there is now, so many to try.

Free BMC at a wedding with lots of friends still goes down pretty well I've discovered. But yeah, beer snobbery is where it's at :D

I had a party and people left Bud Light, PBR and Yuengling Light at my place. Down the drain it went...

Dude, you could have always used it to boil up some brats with onions then grilled them up. :D

Back