Brewery names--what's your story?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going for "Big Test Icicles" English Pale Ale, but since it turned out so weak and light, I'm going with "Big Sissy".

Sent from a 1956 Chevy near Omega Centari on my iPad

Stoner brewery? Most people dont know that hops and cannibus are the only 2 species in the same family (the acutal latin name escapes me, but thats not important) and people have actually experimented with interchanging the 2 in brewing. If (or more or less when) mary jane become legal for recreational usage. You could have a great name for a craft brewery, or if you trademark it, you could sell it. You could be the myspace of the brewing world! It sold for an un godly amount.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Home Brew mobile app

Colorado guys take note! I wonder if you guys could get away with establishing an empire of this while you're still one of the only states with legalization. With that kind of foothold, you could sweep the nation by storm as states legalized it.

Molassis Hollow Brewery,
Why; I walk out onto my front porch some time ago and there sat a little old lady, I dont remember her name, we got talking and she was telling me some great stories about my house and the area we lived in, one of the stories was how back in the 30's when she was a young girl her friends and family nicknamed the area Molassis Hollow, due to the fact that we do live in a slight hollow on a hill and once you move into the neighbourhood you never want to leave, "Stuck like Molassis".
However I seldomly use the name to promote my beers.

Dan

Sent from my Z X Spectrum

hops and cannibus are the only 2 species in the same family (the acutal latin name escapes me, but thats not important)

3 genera in family Cannabaceae

Celtis (about 70 species)
Humulus (3 species: japonica, lupulus, and yunnanensis)
the other one (3 species)

No back story, just what I came up with and liked. My brews are given appropriately anachronistic names: Intolerance IPA, Commie Bastard Red Ale, Second Hand Smoked Dunkelweizen, etc.
5xsd5l.jpg

Started out as Slingshot Brewing simply because it didn't exist in the commerical or home brew world.
I came up with the name as a possibility, my buddy took a liking to it, so I went with that.
I wasn't really sold on the name because I felt that with a name that specific I would need/want to stick to naming my beers after slingshot terminology.
Anyways, after I had named it and had someone make a design for me I keep trying to think of something that I liked, not anyone else.
One day I was filling out a chart after a call and went to document the patient's history of illicit drug abuse.
**Lightbulb**
That's when Illicit Aleworks was born.

image.jpg

13 Colonies Brew CO.

Just like old Americana and it wasn't taken yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Haxmax Brewing

Last name is Hackney. Everyone called me Hack through college. My first brew was in celebration of the birth of my son 16 years ago. His name is Max. Hence Hack's Max

I call mine, "Mastiff Slobber Brew House". Actually going to sand blast etch a sign for it this weekend.
Obviously got the idea from the other slobber beers. But when ever I brew, my English Mastiff Diesel is always close by, and while I was boiling one day, Diesel shook his head and a big chunk of slobber landed in my brew pot. So the name stuck!:drunk:

I call mine, "Mastiff Slobber Brew House". Actually going to sand blast etch a sign for it this weekend.
Obviously got the idea from the other slobber beers. But when ever I brew, my English Mastiff Diesel is always close by, and while I was boiling one day, Diesel shook his head and a big chunk of slobber landed in my brew pot. So the name stuck!:drunk:

So answer the question on everyones mind, did you drink it? I also am no stranger to Mastiff slobber, I have a 140# Brindle bullmastiff, Named Boris.

So answer the question on everyones mind, did you drink it? I also am no stranger to Mastiff slobber, I have a 140# Brindle bullmastiff, Named Boris.

Of course I did, a little Mastiff Slobber never hurt anyone.:rockin:
But it was in full boil, so I figured it wasn't a big deal.:D

I am new to the brewing world (brewing my first batch in the next day or two) but with my last name and it's meaning I had to go with "The Breury". The first part of my last name is Breu, it's German, and the meaning of my last name is the "the tapper of the keg". How could I not call it the Breury, right? lol

I work at a sign shop and I will be making labels and signs for the basement bar. My wife has been looking at label ideas on here as I surf the forum.

Lessee... The story behind my brewery name? Um, well, I bought a new hat....:)

My previous name was Two Beagles Brewery. Would you believe it's because I had two Beagles?

springtime%20green%20copy.jpg

farmhouse%20orange%20copy.jpg

Was playing around tonight.I was going with Farm 3 Beer Club but since I am going to move my brewery to the old pump house I decided on a new name.

pump house.jpg

I grew up in baptist church. I remember people saying the bad Christians were called "back row baptists" because they'd sneak into the back row after a long night of partying on Saturday...thus the name Back Row Baptist Brewing. All my beer names have some connotation to church culture.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

A&G's best a buddy of mine Aaron showed me in the early 90's that you could make beer at home. and since my names Gary that's where A&G came from and we were drinking the beast at the time that's where the best came from

Not sure what mines gonna be yet, thinking of sticking to simple with "McGarvey Brewing Co" ... My Irish name goes hand in hand with beers and pubs.

Primary - Pecan Brown Nut Ale

Bottled - Belgian Wit

There's been this running joke between me and my physical chemist friends about how funny it would be to have a bar called H-bar. H-bar is an important mathematical constant in physical chemistry. Unfortunately, very few people will get the joke.

There's been this running joke between me and my physical chemist friends about how funny it would be to have a bar called H-bar. H-bar is an important mathematical constant in physical chemistry. Unfortunately, very few people will get the joke.

Careful, you might get sued by the "H over 2 Pi" guys across the street.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

When I first started brewing I had a few rolls of blue painters tape leftover from work. Figured what better way to label the beer. I still label my beers with blue tape and sharpie, thus started Blue Tape Brewery.

Ok, I know this is old but it is too funny. I normally keg but bottled up some beers for a party and used blue painters tape to label them and since then my wife keeps telling me I need to work on my labelling. I am going to order some grogtags but wanted to come up with a name and logo first.

Lazy Hammock Brewing Co.

No real story behind it. I have a hard time coming up with names for things. For example... when naming my dog after I adopted him, (I lived in a fraternity house), I looked at the shelf of liquor bottles going around my room. My dog's name is Jager...

Aaaaaaanyways. I love camping and I love laying in hammocks (I used to have one from one side of my bedroom to the other). There's nothin better than a lazy day swinging in a hammock with a cool breeze blowin. Other than having an ice cold homebrew at the same time... bring the two together... Lazy Hammock Brewing Co.

)($;&&//):$;&():(:(:. I have been reading this thread for a few days and had this exact name in my mind. I hit post 1912 and see someone beat me to it. Oh well, time for a few more homebrews while trying to come up with something else original.

)($;&&//):$;&():(:(:. I have been reading this thread for a few days and had this exact name in my mind. I hit post 1912 and see someone beat me to it. Oh well, time for a few more homebrews while trying to come up with something else original.

Save yourself time and google the name. Then hit up untapped and see if it shows there. I only say that because I feel I'm not super clever and the few names I've finally managed to come up with are taken. That solidifies the idea that I'm not super clever but also saves me time getting excited about a name that I cannot use.

Anyone have any opinions on using a name that is clearly just the name some dude gave his garage in a professional manner? For example, someone may be using Rusty Gears Brewing (not to single out the guy but I like the name). If I want to register it, because he has not, and use it, what would be the opinion? Other than making me a ****** of course. Don't worry, I'm not doing this but I did think of a name and it appears that the guy posted here once in 2010, his "brewery" name shows up on BA with no posts, and there is nothing else associated with the name. It got me thinking.

Save yourself time and google the name. Then hit up untapped and see if it shows there. I only say that because I feel I'm not super clever and the few names I've finally managed to come up with are taken. That solidifies the idea that I'm not super clever but also saves me time getting excited about a name that I cannot use.

Anyone have any opinions on using a name that is clearly just the name some dude gave his garage in a professional manner? For example, someone may be using Rusty Gears Brewing (not to single out the guy but I like the name). If I want to register it, because he has not, and use it, what would be the opinion? Other than making me a ****** of course. Don't worry, I'm not doing this but I did think of a name and it appears that the guy posted here once in 2010, his "brewery" name shows up on BA with no posts, and there is nothing else associated with the name. It got me thinking.

I did actually google and did not find anything, but I only googled "Lazy Hammock Brewing". I just googled "Lazy Hammock Brewing Homebrewtalk" and found it. Either way I still wanted to finsih the thread as it there are some interesting names/stories and before making a final decission I want to see what else the thread inspired in my imagination.

As for registering the name, it would be a bit *****ey, but you never know. The other person could be getting ready to register it, or maybe has stopped using the name or even quit brewing since their post. Who knows? A PM to the other person would likley resolve things most times I would guess.

Viper's Den Winery, been using the Viper's Den for plenty of product lines for years. Started as a Second Life company and has expanded to a couple of Real Life branches of my main company, Vanderburg Graphic Productions

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

We are "Two Bad Buns Brewery", after our family's pet therapy rabbits, Sam and Joe. Sadly, they have both moved on to the big carrot patch in the sky, but we still hoist a pint to them from time to time.

I'm entered in the homebrewing competition at the Hop-n-Barley Festival this weekend and had a banner made so we can stand out a bit:

RSmkx2M.png

The Obscure Presidents' Ale Society

I'm pretty sure I'm not competing with anyone on that title. It's actually named after my dogs, who are named after obscure presidents: Stephen Grover Cleveland and James Knox Polk -- use the middle names of both. RIP Chester Alan Arthur.

All my beers (at least when I'm not being lazy) have presidential themed names. My favorite so far is "Grover Cleveland's Non-consecutive Double IPA".

Mine is Black Hart Brewery, to try and incorporate some part of my name (my surname is Hartland) but still keep it interesting. Here's the logo.

As far as I can tell, no-one else is using it as a Brewery name. A few beers are called Black Hart, there are a couple of breweries called Black Heart around the world. At the very least, I'm the only one in the Philippines using the name! :mug:

logo.jpg

Viper's Den Winery, been using the Viper's Den for plenty of product lines for years. Started as a Second Life company and has expanded to a couple of Real Life branches of my main company, Vanderburg Graphic Productions

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403866406.252930.jpg the logo I've been using

For those posting "no one else is using that name", why is that a concern? I can understand if you are trying to open your own business, but is everyone trying to do that who posts that remark?

I did google mine, and there is a "The Royal Oak Brewery" in Michigan, but I'm not planning on making a career out of brewing, so no worries for me I guess.

My brewery name is HANKY PANKY BREWING CO. My last name is Hankerson. Everyone usually calls me Hank or Hanky Panky. So I ran with it!

For those posting "no one else is using that name", why is that a concern? I can understand if you are trying to open your own business, but is everyone trying to do that who posts that remark?

Not sure about everyone else, but I am trying to start a nanobrewery business :)

If I was only homebrewing I wouldn't care at all if someone else had got there first with the name.

Back