Dry Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IdahoAngler

Reaction score
Bought a Double IPA kit through NW. It is supposed to take three months from brew day to drinking day. It was in the primary for 2.5 weeks, then racked to secondary for dry hopping (part of the provided recipe).

It is supposed to stay in the secondary for about 5-6 weeks before bottling, but I've heard this may be too long for dry hopping. Of course, I only found this out after I added the dry hops (loose pellets). :mad:

Any suggestions? Can I rack it again away from the dry hops after they've settled out? Should I leave it alone until bottling in 5-6 weeks?

Thanks.

Holy crap! I logged on to post a question about how long is safe for dryhopping, and this is the very first post listed in New Posts. Thanks HBT!

i'd leave it in the secondary for 7-10 days, then bottle.

This is what I was thinking too, but the kit says 2 weeks in the primary, 2 weeks in the bottle, and the remainder of the total three months in the secondary. I'm guessing because it is a big beer.

Can I rack it to another carboy and let it sit for 5-6 weeks before bottling?

This is what I was thinking too, but the kit says 2 weeks in the primary, 2 weeks in the bottle, and the remainder of the total three months in the secondary. I'm guessing because it is a big beer.

Can I rack it to another carboy and let it sit for 5-6 weeks before bottling?

i wouldnt. i usually dont use a secondary anyway, but in your situation i would just bottle after those hops have been in there between 7-10. fermentation should be plenty done. i just brewed an IPA and just left it in the primary for 3 weeks, then added dry hops for 1 week. total = 4 weeks. the FG wasnt changed after 2 weeks anyway (aka fermentation was done at 2 weeks). whats your OG?

i wouldnt. i usually dont use a secondary anyway, but in your situation i would just bottle after those hops have been in there between 7-10. fermentation should be plenty done. i just brewed an IPA and just left it in the primary for 3 weeks, then added dry hops for 1 week. total = 4 weeks. the FG wasnt changed after 2 weeks anyway (aka fermentation was done at 2 weeks). whats your OG?

OG = 1.070 (according to the kit it was supposed to be 1.082, but the wort was warmer than 60 degrees when taken)

On Friday during racking = 1.020

It is supposed to be about 8.5%ABV when done.

OG = 1.070 (according to the kit it was supposed to be 1.082, but the wort was warmer than 60 degrees when taken)

On Friday during racking = 1.020

It is supposed to be about 8.5%ABV when done.

id let it go for 10 days then bottle. you"ll get a nice aroma from DH for 10 days. what hops did you use for DH?

Latest posts

Back