Dunkel Berliner Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DregAddict

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of threads on the topic of lactobacillus for a Berliner weisse. There seems to be a debate about when to pitch the lacto. Before the yeast? At the same time as the yeast?

Well, last week I started a dunkelweisen and I decided to experiment with some lacto to make a dunkel Berliner weisse. I'm hoping to find out how much of the sour lacto profile comes through if I pitch the lacto at the same time as the yeast. So what I did after cooling the wort is I separated it into two carboys. In one carboy I only pitched the yeast. In the other I pitched the yeast and lacto at the same time. I will use the dunkelweisen as a control to compare with the dunkel Berliner weisse. I plan on literally doing a side by side taste test to see what type of lactic acid character I was able to get from the lacto.

Hopefully in a month or so I will have some noticeable acidity in the carboy that had the lacto and yeast. Then I can bottle and wait another month before drinking. That will put my taste comparison sometime in January.

Back