Head issues from kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaker33

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a consistent problem with my beers served from my kegerator. The first pour of the day is ALWAYS just right, decent amount of head and also good carbonation. However, each pour thereafter has almost no head at all, maybe 1/8" or so at the top at most. If I try to create head by agitating the pour (raising the glass up and down), I simply lose the carbonation of the beer, which makes sense. I have tried different pressures, letting it sit for a few days after it's fully carbonated, etc.

Any ideas? Or is this just how it goes?

What are you using as a carbonating procedure? It sounds like it's not actually carbonated to me. What pressure are you serving at?

What are you using as a carbonating procedure? It sounds like it's not actually carbonated to me. What pressure are you serving at?

I use the quick method of rolling the keg gently on the floor for about 20 to 30 minutes at about 20 PSI. Once I get the carbonation dialed in, I turn it down to about 10 PSI and pour a couple of pints to release pressure, instead of using the release valve.

Even after 2 weeks of serving the head is as described above. It always *seems* properly carbonated, but perhaps it is slightly under carbonated.

You can create a bit more head by pouring the last few seconds of the pour with the tap almost closed. It will create foam.

I use the quick method of rolling the keg gently on the floor for about 20 to 30 minutes at about 20 PSI. Once I get the carbonation dialed in, I turn it down to about 10 PSI and pour a couple of pints to release pressure, instead of using the release valve.

Even after 2 weeks of serving the head is as described above. It always *seems* properly carbonated, but perhaps it is slightly under carbonated.

Find a new method of carbonation. I have found you method to be highly unreliable in the past. Regardless of what method you use, it's going to take about 3 weeks for you carbonation to balance out anyways, so you might as well just set your PSI between 10-15 depending on temp and let it sit for a few weeks. You'll be much happier.

More time brother. I have the same issues. I use the table I got off of here http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php to decide my PSI. I did notice however that when I got deeper into the keg (waited without waiting) that carbonation improved. I don't think it'll take three weeks, but the proper PSI combined with the proper wait should have you producing consistent head. If not, think of a carbonating stone. I've never used one, but I hear they're pretty good.

I'm not saying it takes three weeks to produce head on a beer. That can be done in a few days with most beers on my setup. I'm saying to have a balanced carbonation in your beer, it takes three weeks.

Back