Weldless kits from Bargain Fittings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavdowg

Reaction score
I went on the Bargain Fittings site (Bargain Fittings) and saw their fantastic prices. I want to add a weldless ball-valve to my boil pot(converted Sanke keg). My question is this: Do the kits on his site include everything you need to add the ball valve (in other words the bulkhead and valve) or is it just the ball valve?

Any thoughts on welding one in or weldless?

thanks

If you buy the "weldless ball valve" fitting, it comes with everything you need. And I will add that he is the only vendor that does it right, the equipment he provides will enable you to get a leak-free seal even after taking it apart many times for cleaning.

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought of the cleaning aspect. Just soaking the inside of the keg with iodophor wouldn't do it?

You don't have to take them apart, but the way I rigged mine up I needed to. The other vendors weldless fittings started to leak on me, but not the one from bargainfittings.com.

Bargain Fittings is awesome. I got the $19 weldless kit. It was WAY cheaper than I could build one myself at Home Depot (trust me I tried). And it worked well, not leaking a drop.

Mine came with everything but the step bit I used to drill the hole...which somehow cost me twice what the weldless valve kit cost me. I'm thinking of having it mounted for display (the step bit - the valve is in serious use - and hasn't leaked yet...)

I switched to welded keggle fittings from a regular brew pot so I don't use mine anymore. It was leak free but I honestly don't remember which one was on which pot - too much beer? I do use BF sight glass and it was an easy install and works well, still a bit unsure why he stuck a brass fitting on it instead of keeping it all stainless, but I will survive the horror of the one piece of brass in my system.:(

I switched to welded keggle fittings from a regular brew pot so I don't use mine anymore. It was leak free but I honestly don't remember which one was on which pot - too much beer? I do use BF sight glass and it was an easy install and works well, still a bit unsure why he stuck a brass fitting on it instead of keeping it all stainless, but I will survive the horror of the one piece of brass in my system.:(

Sorry the brass part is disappointing but it is listed and pictured on the product description.

The issue is the stainless part is a major percentage in cost of my listed price for the whole set.

If there is enough demand it would be ~ $35.00 for an all stainless site-glass.

Others are selling them cheaper by purchasing one off lots off ebay and surplus sites.

Edited for clarity.

Mine came with everything but the step bit I used to drill the hole...which somehow cost me twice what the weldless valve kit cost me. I'm thinking of having it mounted for display (the step bit - the valve is in serious use - and hasn't leaked yet...)

I want to thank everyone for their kind words and I hope we can continue to provide a high level of customer satisfaction to each and everyone who orders from us.

I need to post a link on my page but harbor freight sells their 2 piece step bit set on sale every month or so for $14.99

Its good enough that I've punched 15+ holes for myself and customers and they still work.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96275

Sorry the brass part is disappointing but it is listed and pictured on the product description.

Did not post it as a complaint or an implication of any deception on your part, I just plain did not pay any attention to it when ordering. If you were to add that SS fitting to your site at some point I would probably change it out.

Did not post it as a complaint or an implication of any deception on your part, I just plain did not pay any attention to it when ordering. If you were to add that SS fitting to your site at some point I would probably change it out.

I figured that was your tone on the post. I just wanted to clarify if there was any question out there about the product.

I appreciate your business and just want to make sure you are happy with your purchase.

I really have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to locate a reasonable priced quality compression fitting in stainless, but you really get what you pay for on the fully machined parts!

Wayne.

Thumbs up for Bargain Fittings. I have couple of ball valves and other stainless fittings that I used for two sight glass and thermometer fitting.

I would recommend a good bi-metal hole saw. I tried the harbor freight step drill and was able to cut two holes before the bit really started to degrade. I picked up a hole saw from HD and was able to cut the rest very quickly and with less heat and stress on my drill.

Bump on Bargainfittings' products. I've been happy so far with what I've ordered, and quite pleased with the lengths he goes through to help me make my setup work. I only wish he had more stuff available so I could send more money! :) .... Maybe a DIY conical is in order...those need fittings...hmm..

I know this is a few months late on this thread, BUT...

I just wanted give my thumbs up as well. Great price, quick delivery, easy to install, no leaks, works perfectly. I'll be ordering from them again.

Anyone have any advice on "step bit" drill bit usage ? Things to do / not to do ? Do they work well with aluminum pots/steel pots ? We are about to get our ball valve and thermo/sightglass fittings, this will be our first time putting a hole in a pot.

Anyone have any advice on "step bit" drill bit usage ? Things to do / not to do ? Do they work well with aluminum pots/steel pots ? We are about to get our ball valve and thermo/sightglass fittings, this will be our first time putting a hole in a pot.

Double check the position before drilling. Hard to un drill it if you position it wrong.

Use a center punch or a small finish nail and hammer to make a starting ding for the drill bit to center on.

USE A HELPER TO HOLD KETTLE.

Use a 1/8" bit for stainless kettles for your first hole. Aluminum will not really need this. Just start slow until you get the first few curls of metal and apply even pressure as the bit goes through. As the step bit eats away you will want to keep a good grip on the kettle (use a helper) so it does not torque and create a warping in the metal. As you get close the final step, slow down and under drill it. Keep trying it until the nipple just barely starts to fit.

Clean the hole up with a grinding stone or a file. Remove burrs and install the fitting.

I'm also a happy BF customer, about to place another order actually :mug:

I'm sure others will also have advice, but here's what's helped me make clean holes and keep my step bit sharp:
-Drill a smallish pilot hole first, I think I used a 3/16" bit for my pilot hole last time.
-Use some kind of oil or cutting fluid and try to let the bit do the work for you - ie, don't press too hard or run the drill at top speed.
-Carfully use the bit to debur both sides of the hole.

Just be careful and go slow, especially with aluminum. You can drill through that like the proverbial hot knife through butter.

I'd like to add my satisfaction with BF. I have a ball valve and bulkhead for my MLT. Great price, and easy to install. Well, I had a little confusion, and had to email, but thats just because I'm an idiot.

+1 support for bargain fittings, i was in serious disbelief that my order managed to make it to my door so quickly. thanks wayne.

Back