favorite yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papagayo

Reaction score
Just curious: what are you favorite yeasts for making cider? I'm thinking largely of the flavor profile of the final product, not the ease with which they produce ethanol.

I, for one, have had great success with Lalvin EC-1118. Despite being a powerful champagne yeast, I have gotten some nice tastes with it.

Wyeast 3711 was my best cider. I've used WL cider yeast and notty previously, and neither was as good as the 3711. So good i'm starting another batch any day now

Thanks for the suggestion. I read the description of that yeast on the wyeast website and my mouth is watering. I'm definitely going to give it a whirl this year.

My mystery no-name wine yeast is my favourite. I have no idea what it is but it chews through everything and anything, has overcome preservatives and extremely low pH's and actively ferments in the fridge. This stuff is crazy!

OT: You should read up CvilleKevins sticky at the top of the forum titled 'Results from juice, yeast and sugar experiments'.

I once used Wyeast's London III and it did well, leaving some sweetness behind. I can't wait to try it again once the temps get cooler here, there will be some off flavors if you ferment it too warm

that yeast will need some extra space on top though

Back