Oktoberfest Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostboysbrew

Reaction score
Ok, time to sound off on your favorite.

Last year I had GREAT results from WLP 820. I was looking to see if it was worth trying another yeast this year. I am planning a small batch (1/1.5 gal) of my Oktoberfest before I brew 20 gallons to be ready for the fall.

What are peoples thoughts on Oktoberfest / German lager yeasts???

WLP 820
WLP 830
WLP 833

Wyeast 2308
Wyeast 2633

Cheers:mug:

I'm a big fan of WLP833, but that's mostly because it can ferment clean up to around 55 and doesn't produce nearly as much sulfur as the 830

I don't use WL because my LHBS only carries Wyeast. I like both strains you mention, but I think I would nod my hat at 2633.

838/2308. I've never been more enthusiastic about a microorganism. Fast, clean, flocculent, no diacetyl, and very brewer-friendly. Its attenuation is a little on the low side, but perfect for a festbier.

Drool... I think I might have to make this 12lb sack of Vienna into a lager....

I'm a big fan of WLP833, but that's mostly because it can ferment clean up to around 55 and doesn't produce nearly as much sulfur as the 830

833. I usually try to convince people not to think of lager yeasts by style. Every lager brewery in the world uses a single yeast for every style. The manufacturers do a disservice calling, say, 833 Bock yeast as Ayinger makes excellent Helles, and Pilsener and Marzen too.

Most lager breweries in every country use w 34/70 aka wlp830 aka whatever Wyeast calls that one. (I don't think this is the most user friendly one and wouldn't start with it at home).

I will say if you want the characteristic taste of Pilsner Urquell or Czechvar (most Czech lagers do not taste like those), get the right yeast. But if you aren't cloning a particular beer, pick one, get to know, get to love it.

I have gotten a 1A, 1B and 1C to the NHC second round in two years of competing. All made with "bock" yeast, WLP 833.

I had great results with WLP820 on my Oktoberfest. I pitched a bit higher than I wanted and had a fair amount of diacetyl, but I did a D-rest and it cleaned up very nicely. Great flavor and cleared up perfect!

I had great results with WLP820 on my Oktoberfest. I pitched a bit higher than I wanted and had a fair amount of diacetyl, but I did a D-rest and it cleaned up very nicely. Great flavor and cleared up perfect!

I did similar with one of mine last year. 62 degrees in my basement and I fermented at that, made sure it sat long enough to clean up and lagered for 6 months.......it had no diactyl and I loved the malty profile the yeast gave it.

I am probably going to split a 3 gallon batch into 3 and test three different yeasts to see if i get a different flavor profile. I have never experiemented with yeasts this way, I am excited for it.

I did similar with one of mine last year. 62 degrees in my basement and I fermented at that, made sure it sat long enough to clean up and lagered for 6 months.......it had no diactyl and I loved the malty profile the yeast gave it.

I am probably going to split a 3 gallon batch into 3 and test three different yeasts to see if i get a different flavor profile. I have never experiemented with yeasts this way, I am excited for it.

Sounds like a good plan. I have been thinking re-brewing some of the brews I have already done to see how different yeasts provide different flavors and character to the beer.

Back