Cold sparging, great results.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantNH

Reaction score
So the other day I decided to try cold sparging. Well I guess it is not really cold sparging as I was using Hot tap water. I have a hot water tank that is heated off of my boiler. The temp out of the tap is around 130.

I did my normal brew day with the exception of not heating my sparge water. I mashed in as normal. Then just ran off of my tap hot water for the batch sparges. The grain bed dropped to about 140 for the first sparge. Then settled in around 133 for the second. My brewhouse efficiency was spot on 75% pretty much where the last 4 10g batches have been using the traditional hot sparge additions to bring the grain up to 168.

Unless this beer presents some heinous off flavors, I see no reason not to continue this. As it will save me propane and just the hassle of tending to and heating the extra sparge water.

Batch sparge, cold sparge, No chill, 3 week primary. 15AG batches and loving every one of em.

Kaiser did some experiments on this as well. I can't remember the exact results, but it was something similar, yet I believe he still advocated for higher temp sparge. (I'll try to remember to look it up)

Isn't the logic of a hot sparge to deactivate (kil) the enzymes that are converting the starches to sugars? If so, the "cold sparging" would be logical for a drier beer, but if you are targeting to have some unfermentables in the wort.... wouldn't the enzymes continue their work until heated for the boil?

How to Brew mentions that many home brewers skip the mash out with no consequences. And the Wiki says that it frees up to 2% more starch. Both mainly highlight the use of the mash out to be for making the Mash more fluid. Either way I am of a thought that if it makes my brew day simpler and I can still make a great beer then why not. No chill after 15 batches has yet to produce anything less than a good beer. I am expecting similar results for my Cold Sparge batches.

Unless this beer presents some heinous off flavors, I see no reason not to continue this. As it will save me propane and just the hassle of tending to and heating the extra sparge water.

I've cold sparged the last 3-4 brews and haven't noticed any difference at all.

BTW, you really won't save much propane since it will now take a little longer to get up to boil.

How to Brew mentions that many home brewers skip the mash out with no consequences. And the Wiki says that it frees up to 2% more starch. Both mainly highlight the use of the mash out to be for making the Mash more fluid. Either way I am of a thought that if it makes my brew day simpler and I can still make a great beer then why not. No chill after 15 batches has yet to produce anything less than a good beer. I am expecting similar results for my Cold Sparge batches.

The mash out also helps to gelatenize some remaining starches/sugars.

BTW, you really won't save much propane since it will now take a little longer to get up to boil.

Well during the cold months I boil outside and mash inside. Filling from a garden hose to the kettle. Saving me from lugging around the water. So starting with the water from my hot water tank saves me that heat time on the cold tap water.

I understand there are so many factors in beer making, that when you are out to make the perfect beer everytime, you may want to be especially attentive to. I am not at that point. When I am at that point I will probably invest in a automated brew rig of some sorts. Until then, great drinkable beer is all I want. So if I am able to cut a corner and not noticebly sacrifice anything. Then why the heck not?

No chill after 15 batches has yet to produce anything less than a good beer.

F*ckin-a right, brother. I haven't used my chiller or the ol' ice bath shuffle for several batches now. I'm done with that mess. Even with hoppy beers, just throw hops in at transfer (20min IBU), and/or dry hops and/or First Wort Hops. It all comes out beautiful.

The hot sparge also gives you a consistent time that the conversion stops. Not a big deal if youre not trying to duplicate your beer.

Latest posts

Back