Anyone try Sugar Free Syrup for flavoring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksosh

Reaction score
Thinking of making some odd combinations (Peanut Butter Porter, Cinnamon Stout, etc), and came across these Da Vinci Sugar Free Syrups:
http://www4.netrition.com/davinci_syrups_page.html

Here's a sample of what's in the nutrition information for the cinnamon one:
Water, spice extract, cellulose gum, sucralose (splenda brand), sodium benzoate (preservative), citric acid

Anyone use these, or think they would/wouldn't work for flavoring? Any suggestions as to the amount or when to add (thinking secondary or at bottling time).

I am in the coffee industry. Using those for flavoring means 1 oz per 8 oz of liquid to make it taste like that alone. Adding it to beer, I would think you would just want a hint of taste so mabe a couple oz per gallon. As for it working, I have no clue. It couldn't hurt to try on a little sample batch.

The preservative will affect your yeast. Not sure if the amount you'd use would be enough to retard fermentation and mess with natural carbonation though. If you were kegging, then it would be a moot point as long as primary fermentation was finished.

Hmmm, I bottle ferment, so I think I'd probably use a couple oz in a gallon (per WIP's suggestion) to test both the flavor and the affect on yeast carbonation.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen.

I've used the blueberry and Irish Cream. The first in a wheat and the latter in stout. I just added a half-ounce to a pint. Both were okay, but not so great that I'd do a whole batch.

I've used the blueberry and Irish Cream. The first in a wheat and the latter in stout. I just added a half-ounce to a pint. Both were okay, but not so great that I'd do a whole batch.

Do you think that it would have been better with *more* syrup, or is it something in the syrup itself that limits it to being just 'okay'?

Back