Thermometer Off!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montigeau

Reaction score
Well, I just found out that I've done about 6 AG batches with a bunk thermometer. I figured something was off due to crap efficiency, so I went to the store and bought a regular old floating thermometer. When I compared it to the candy thermometer I've been using, there was a 10 degree difference!! The one I've been using was reading 10 degrees too high.

All the times I thought I was 152, I was actually at 142 and so on!!!!! I'm surprised that my beer actually still came out half decent. But I would always end up adding malt, etc. to make up for lousy efficiency.

I'm brewing on Saturday for real.

I've got 3 thermometers and get 3 different readings. One of these days I'm springing for a real mercury Lab thermometer. For now, I just "trust" the two that are closest.

Good luck this weekend, hope you hit 90% !

Happens over and over.

Truth is unless you buy a $100 thermometer, all thermometers are crap, and you can't trust any of them.

After going through oodles and oodles I found Thermoworks makes quality products. They aren't cheap but they *do* work.

Happens over and over.

Truth is unless you buy a $100 thermometer, all thermometers are crap, and you can't trust any of them.

After going through oodles and oodles I found Thermoworks makes quality products. They aren't cheap but they *do* work.

+1.........

Back