A Newbie from the UK!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefraj

Reaction score
Hi everyone! :)

It's great to meet you all. And I'm amazed - from what I've seen - by the sheer wealth of knowledge and advice people share on these boards.

I've always wanted to brew my own alcohol, and started in February with a couple of medium red kits and a couple of demijohns. Things went well - for a first try, and - at my housemates suggestion - we started making mead (which I was very pleased to see had it's own section on these boards!!)

It's a taste like nothing I've ever tried before, and not something you see much in the shops. Over the last few months we've increased the scale and aquired several more demijohns and supplies. We have about 8 demijohns on the go with a variety of vanilla, lemon/lime and other variants as an experiment.

At 25, we both lack any serious degree of patience other people here seem to have. (The idea of leaving mead bottled for months seems unthinkable!) LOL I guess for us it started with a desire to turn alcoholism into a semi-legitimate hobby. :tank: LOL

But in these last couple of months, I've found myself giving the whole subject more thought and greater respect for alcoholic drinks and how they're made. Today I realized just how seriously I'm taking this, when I found myself ordering a Vinbrite Mk3 Filter Kit and a corker for bottling the fruits of our labour.

I was wondering - what sucess people have had using this filter for wines and meads? I was considering using the filter to move the mead from one demijohn to another, then adding Isinglass finings before bottling?

Good idea, bad idea? I would be very greatful for any advice/opinions (or better ideas?).

Anyway, thank you for letting me post here! It's an exciting hobby, and very rewarding! :) It's great being able to share experiences.

Latest posts

Back