Partial Mash ahead of time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stigs

Reaction score
Was going to brew an RIS tomorrow with a friend (so he can see/learn what brewing is about). My recipe involves doing a partial mash with some oats. Is it ok to do this ahead of time then let sit for a few hours (we have a flag football game) and come back and pickup where I left off doing some steeping and the boil?

Raw grain can have lacto bacteria on it. If you mash and the let it sit, it could give the lacto a chance to work. This won't cause an infected brew since you'll be boiling the wort and that'll kill the bacterial, but any sourness they created before their untimely death will be left behind.

IF... you do this, make sure you are confident in your sanitation procedures. I usually do this: Mash, boil right away, and cool with chiller down to 110 degrees (as ground water won't go lower than this). Then I will transfer to primary, put in fermentation chamber for roughly 5-6 hours, then pitch yeast. Again, as long as your sanitation is good, your good.

Back