Effects of interrupting the lagering process?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoGuthrie

Reaction score
I have a mini fridge that is currently 4 weeks into lagering a doppelbock. Because it's a mini fridge it can only hold 1 carboy at a time.

I have a pale ale that i would like to cold crash for a day or two before bottling.

Will there be any catastrophic effect on the doppelbock if i pull it out of the 40F fridge for a couple of days so i can cold crash the DB?

Storage options in those two days are: Brew room temperature is ~65 or I can haul it down to my crawl space which i fermented in at 50-55F.

I don't think there would be any effect. The main area of problem would be during primary fermentation, and you're way past that. You're just looking for the beer to clean up via lagering at this point.

You could use that time for a diacetyl rest for the doppelbock. Let it sit for about 3 days at room temp, rack, then lager (around 30) for as long as you can. That is how I make my lagers and it works quite well.

You could use that time for a diacetyl rest for the doppelbock. Let it sit for about 3 days at room temp, rack, then lager (around 30) for as long as you can. That is how I make my lagers and it works quite well.

Four weeks into lagering is a bit late for a diacetyl rest...

I'd just say forget the cold-crashing of the pale. I rarely do it, and typically get crystal-clear beers.

Four weeks into lagering is a bit late for a diacetyl rest...

I'd just say forget the cold-crashing of the pale. I rarely do it, and typically get crystal-clear beers.

I wouldn't call around 40 degrees really the optimum lagering temp, especially for a doppelbock.

Back