Wild yeast 2 different strains by accident

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkychef

Reaction score
I obtained wild yeast a couple of months back from fruit on a tree in my yard. I have brewed a wild/sour with this then plated some yeast. All the yeast colonies looked the same and after re-streaking I choose 2different single colonies and so happens I have 2 completely different strains. This is them after 5 days of ferment one has dropped so clear its crazy and the other still cloudy and both smell pleasant.

What is my next step? Should I let them sit lomger to make sure they are not anything weird. Or just step up and brew?

View attachment 1438690452303.jpg

Patients is not one of my virtues. I have made great beers driven by impulsion, and destroyed my fair share by the same hand.

I'd say brew two batches, one with each yeast, and let the goodtimes roll! If you want to save a little money, you could just do two 2.5 gal. batches. Who knows, you might even be able to mix the two down the road.

Ive noticed that the cloudy one now is developing a slight oily film. Im banking this is the strain that is souring part in my wild brew. Im going to step up the clear one big enough to get a hydro sample when its done to see how much this yeast can eat.

I'd say brew two batches, one with each yeast, and let the goodtimes roll! If you want to save a little money, you could just do two 2.5 gal. batches. Who knows, you might even be able to mix the two down the road.

Split a 4- or 5-gallon batch and brew the same beer but with each different yeast.

:mug:

I obtained wild yeast a couple of months back from fruit on a tree in my yard. I have brewed a wild/sour with this then plated some yeast.
Did you like the wild/sour beer? I'd make 3 brews, re-pitch the yeast from your finished beer, and then one of each of your plated strains. 3 gallon better bottles or carboys and 2.5 gallon batches work good for this kind of trial.
Good Luck and cheers!

Back