Can i use 1/2 packet of yeast ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twintrades

Reaction score
I have everything needed to make 2 - 1 gallon batches of welches wine. But i only have 1 packet of yeast.

Should i just make one batch or could i split the packet and use 1/2 in each batch ?? What would you do ?

Can you get more yeast? They're just around fifty cents a pack.

Considering most packs are enough for 5 gallons, you'll be fine.

It might take a little while longer to get rolling as the yeast first has to multiply, but you'll be fine.

Dicky

I just wanted to start some wine today. Seeing were not leaving the house. And the nearest store that carries wine yeast is 30 miles away......

I might try it. Wost case is i have 8 bucks down the drain lol

You'll be fine. If you're really worried, give it a good starter.

Basically put the yeast in some tepid water and dissolved sugar for about 20 minutes (about the same amount of time to have a cup of tea, how handy). This allows the yeast to 'wake up' a little after being in suspension rather than just jumping it into the deep end. If you don't like the idea of water, put it in some of the juice that you are using but make sure it's not cold. Yeast don't really like the cold.

Good luck!

Dicky

Well im doing it. Ill pitch the yeast tonight before bed. hope i wake to a steady boil. not a volcano aftermath. Just to be safe ill place everything in the tub.

Like Dicky said you'll be fine. I just thought you were near a store and could pick up yeast anytime. Hope you wake up to the sweet smell of fermenting grape juice :mug:

Latest posts

Back