How do you mash in a stainless steel pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
I've seen those big $$$ brewing racks and I have to ask the stupid question- how do you mash in one of those? How does it keep the heat for the hour or so?

They're heated from below, and they've got false bottoms.

I think two or three tea candles could keep a mash at temp in one of those for an hour if you stirred enough. I dunno, I use a cooler.

Wow they must have one heck of a complicated thermostat system and I wonder how the temp would circulate rather than just burn the bottom. I guess it's possible, I don't think breweries have big igloo coolers.

Thermal mass keeps the temp stable. Recirculation is done with a pump to keep the heat evenly distributed so you don't just burn what's on the bottom.

When I build my Keggle MLT, I'm going to put a double layer of that heavy duty aluminum coated bubble wrap insulation around it.

In fact, I'm going to wrap the boil keggle, the HLT keggle and the MLT keggle in the stuff. No use letting the heat out, especially since they will be electrically heated.

Back