Teaching to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
Monday I'm teaching my brother to homebrew. I wasn't expecting to get my MLT built before then so I was planning to teach him to partial mash.

But I just got it finished. Should I make the bold step and teach him to all-grain brew while I'm trying to figure it out too? Or should I take the safe path and stick with the partial mash?

Damn brother keeps putting off brew day. He canceled last week because he was having some work done to his place. He canceled for tomorrow because his kid is sick.

Okay, they are legitimate excuses. But damn it, I want to brew.

I may have to start his beer without him.

Damn brother keeps putting off brew day. He canceled last week because he was having some work done to his place. He canceled for tomorrow because his kid is sick.

Okay, they are legitimate excuses. But damn it, I want to brew.

I may have to start his beer without him.

You should get at least one under your belt before you try to teach someone else, brew away!:mug:

Since you are teaching him, I think you guys need to get together and discuss the different methods and let him decide which way he wants to learn...;)

Make sure you tell him EVERYTHING about the TIME and COSTS involved with each level of brewing. That will probably have an impact on his decision.:mug:

I decided to do it all grain.

Batch sparging really doesn't look that hard. We would be partial mashing anyway, so I don't expect the time to be hugely longer.

His expenses won't be too great. He's going to be using all of my equipment. For the first one all I'm going to make him buy is the ingredients and a hydrometer (I think everyone needs to break at least one). And I'll probably give him a bunch of empty bottles at bottling time as I'm considering going to party pigs.

What a great brother. Tell him he has to pay you back with infinite indebtedness.

I would do all grain as long as you understand the process well in theory and you can visualize the steps without reading it step by step.

Wait, you were already doing partial mashes, but you didn't have an MLT???? Sounds to me like you weren't doing PM's, but rather extract with steeping grains. There is a big difference.

Wait, you were already doing partial mashes, but you didn't have an MLT???? Sounds to me like you weren't doing PM's, but rather extract with steeping grains. There is a big difference.

You are totally right, dude. Sparging 3lbs of grain is impossible without converting a cooler.

Why it would be, like, impossible to steep 2 row in a grain bag in the brewpot. Then put the grain bag in a large funnel and pour hot water through it.

You are totally right, dude. Sparging 3lbs of grain is impossible without converting a cooler.

Why it would be, like, impossible to steep 2 row in a grain bag in the brewpot. Then put the grain bag in a large funnel and pour hot water through it.

Hey thank you so much for your condescending, sarcastic response. My day just wouldn't have been complete without someone ripping on me to make themselves feel better.

Hey thank you so much for your condescending, sarcastic response. My day just wouldn't have been complete without someone ripping on me to make themselves feel better.
Forget him...he obviously spoke before engaging brain...

You can do stove top PMs. I do them ALL the time. :ban:

I have done so many brews that the technique I use could really be called the "Stove top PM, small boil and late addition method". :D

I won't forget his passive-aggressive BS.

I'm sorry Mr. There-Is-A-Big-Difference if I hurt your Feel-Bads. I thought I gave your comment all the attention it deserved.

I think your best bet is to get a few AG batches under your belt before you try to teach the AG process. You have to learn your system, and you can't do that if your distracted by teaching.

Back