Saison plus Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewNow

Reaction score
I’m planning to ferment a Saison with the Belgian strain (3724) from WYeast and aging with Brett (post primary) for about 6 months. I’ll be using the brux stain (5112), also from WYeast. Couple of questions:

+ What is the minimal finishing gravity following primary fermentation for the brett to begin work on?

+ The brett needs something to eat, so if the finishing gravity after primary is too low, I have been told to add malto dextrine. Brett eats these complex sugars while the 3724 will leave them alone. Is this a good technique? Any other recommendations?

+ Can I rack the beer off primary into a keg then pitch the brett directly into the keg? My concern – is there anything such as a yeast cake, that I need to be concerned with?

I’ve never used brett and don’t really know what to expect.

Sounds good. Definately add maltose dextrin, or pitch the Brett at the same time as the saccharomyces yeasts or you wont get much Brett character.

usually I let a strain of saccharomyces start fermenting and when it appears to be settling down I pitch brett. Brett can eat much smaller sugars that sacch so there is always a buffet left over for brett, I don’t add malto-dextrin, some people do, I think as long as you are patient brett will do what it does

I don't add anything extra to my brett saison but I pitch the two together (I use a culture that has a blend of both). I think the brett will give you good, balanced flavor without adding maltodextrin. You could just mash a degree or two higher to develop more dextrins to reserve for brett but I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

Just finished one of these up. You get different opinions because people like different amounts of brett character. Just decide what you want. Pitch the brett earlier or feed MD for more character.

Just finished one of these up. You get different opinions because people like different amounts of brett character.

That's very true. I entered a brett saison in the NHC, got great comments but only good scores. One judge wanted more brett, one wanted less.

I make mine with 3724 and a brett culture co-pitched in primary. No starters. It's awesome.

I would agree that adding both together is the way to go. 3724 underattenuates for me quite a bit. Even if I make a starter, mash low and ferment warm. I can never get it under about 1.012. Dont get me wrong, I love the complexity it provides and wouldnt use a different one to acheive that. But I think the brett will do fantastically for itself after the sacc fermentation peters out.

Latest posts

Back