Making a saison with Wyeast XL 3724

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc2105

Reaction score
Hello,
I am making a saison with Wyeast XL 3724. I was thinking making it ferment at 33 celcius for 14 days and then I want to add rhubarb and oak chips for secondary for 14 days and then finished. My questions are: Should I pitch the beer from primary to secondary and add the rhubarb and oak chips, or should I just add to primary after 14 days and keep in there for 14 days? And when adding rhubarb and oak chips, should I then keep temperature at 33 celcius or just have at room temperature.

I've used 3724 many times and really like it. But it is finicky. Excpect a stall at some point, but it will eventually finish.

People will disgaree on how to add and whether to use a secondary. I prefer to just put the additions in sanitized hop screen or weighted mesh bag and add to primary. But I do try to weight it down enough to not float on top.

People will also disagree on the temperature. I think 33C is unnecessarily high to begin with and would shoot for 27-28C, but it's your beer to experiment with. I don't think thise high temps are needed after the first 7-10 days.

Sometime raising the temp a bit be one of the ways to push through the stall (so may want to leave yourself some room to move up), but I also prefer to just wait it out.

Good luck. 3724 isn't an easy yeasy, but it can produce great results.

Back