Recommend me some good corks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azurescens

Reaction score
I'm about out of the first batch of corks I bought when I first started making wine and am looking for recommendations for a resupply. The ones I have are "Altec" corks and what I really don't like about them is they seem to break apart and release little particles of cork into the wine. I find this displeasing. I was also hoping to hold back a bottle or two from each batch to see how they age over a longer period and I'm concerned these may deteriorate to the point that they begin leaking. What kind of corks do you more experienced people use?

Also, on a related note, does anyone have a chart that lists the diameters of the various cork "number" sizes? The ones I have just say "23 x 44 mm" on the bag.

Thanks!

When I bottle my batch of mead, I'm going to be using zorks. From what I've read on here, they work pretty well.

I've used a variety of corks, and I still prefer the #1 quality corks. They don't break in the bottle. If the Altec are breaking, maybe the insertion isn't quite right. If you're using a hand corker, it's hard to put #9 size corks in the bottle. If you don't boil the corks, and treat them well before hand, they shouldn't come apart like you're describing.

I've used Normacorks (I think that's how it's spelled) with good results. They are a composite material, synthetic. They seem to have good sealing properties, and don't come apart even when you open them.

They're not so much "breaking" as "dissolving". There are tiny little particles of cork floating around in the wine, like the glue that holds them together is breaking up or something. At least I'm assuming that's what it is. I've seen these same little specs appear after bottling in everything I've done and can't think of anything else it could be. I didn't boil them or anything like that. Just a brief soak in star san then into the bottle.

I guess the "23 x 44 mm" corks I have are #8s? I use a two-lever hand corker and don't have any trouble getting them in.

Back