Air Lock stopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zappa42

Reaction score
I brewed my second batch of beer on Saturday afternoon. By Sunday afternoon it had started fermenting and the airlock was going about every second. The temp rose to 74 so I cooled it down and was able to stabalize it at about 66 by sunday night. All day yesterday it was at 68 but in the evening it rose above 70 again. I placed it in a tub of water again and got it back down to 68. I checked it this morning before work and the temp is steady at 68 but there was no activity in the airlock.

I am a little concerned because my last batch had activity for abuot 4-5 days straight, although I did not have a thermometer at that time so it was probably fermenting at a high temp. Anyway, what do you guys think? Is there anything else I should be doing?

Airlock activity is not important. If you get the same gravity readings for 2 consecutive days and its near your expected FG, its done fermenting. If you're racking to secondary do it now, if not wait another 7-10 days before bottling...

Soulive is right- don't go by airlock activity. I've had some beers ferment fully in 24 hours, some in two weeks. So speed of fermentation is not an indicator of how the beer is going to finish. 68 degrees is a good temperature for ales, so that sounds great.

Even after the major part of fermentation is over, though, the yeast continue to eat the sugars more slowly. They also "clean up" after themselves, and remove their own waste products. Even though you can't see it, that's a very important part of the process. That's way I always leave my beers at least a week in the primary fermenter (usually longer) no matter when the airlock stopped bubbling. I would recommend that most people do that. There are some who move the beer into the clearing tank as soon as fermentation slows down, but I think it's a little risky to do that. I think most beers can benefit from the longer period in the fermenter.

Back