How much basil in my kumquat wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovintheorange

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I are about to start on our second batch of beer (our first - an amber ale - came out beautifully). Since we had a bumper crop of beautiful Louisiana kumquats in the back yard, we were thinking of a kumquat wheat.

For the base, we're planning on just using a Brewer's Best wheat ale kit (we're not quite refined enough to be making our own recipes just yet), and for the kumquats we have two cups of them seeded and quartered (but still have more to pick if we need them, with no cold weather in sight to kill them off).

We think basil would be a great addition for depth of flavor, but it's such a strong flavor we're worried about overdoing it and making a basil beer. What's a ballpark figure for the right amount to add to a 5 gal. batch? A friend in Texas suggested 3/4 cup and that just sounds like WAY too much. We want it to add depth of flavor and be present, but by no means dominate the wheat or the kumquat.

Thanks!

-Jeff

I should also note, there are no plans for dry hopping or secondary fermentation, and it will probably be a grain/extract mix if our previous experience with Brewer's Best is an indication.

We plan to add the kumquats after the boil for 20 minutes at 170-180 degrees (per the "Complete Joy of Homebrewing" instructions).

-Jeff

Back