Manifold redesign help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vtbrew

Reaction score
I am redesigning my manifold for my MLT and was thinking of using this design. Does anyone currently use it and are there and draw backs to it.
3591646562_4892506e6c.jpg

Was also considering this on but don't have all the parts. I know the extra pipe would help but how much ?
sparge_rough.gif

Whats that one on top made out of? Pure gold?! Talk about big pimpin'!

I use a similar design and I'm pleased with it. However, I'm also batch sparging so manifold design isn't as critical. Poor manifold design would be more noticeable during fly/continuous sparging.

John Palmer has an excellent write up in his appendex of "How to Brew". If your considering ways of improving your design, I would say this is a must read.

http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixD-1.html

I also use a similar design. And I also batch sparge. I made mine out of CPVC, and I didn't use glue since I want to take it apart after every brew to clean it. Sometimes though I'm afraid to stir the mash too much and too vigorously because I don't want the manifold to break at the connections or separate from the drain valve. Speaking of which, for those of you who have a similar design, how do you handle that?

I also use a similar design. And I also batch sparge. I made mine out of CPVC, and I didn't use glue since I want to take it apart after every brew to clean it. Sometimes though I'm afraid to stir the mash too much and too vigorously because I don't want the manifold to break at the connections or separate from the drain valve. Speaking of which, for those of you who have a similar design, how do you handle that?

I also use CPVC with no glue for the same reason. I had it come apart once so I started holding it together with wire, stainless steel mechanics wire. I cut the wire off when I am done for cleaning.

I plan on using copper and crimp the middle section. Ok I am going to get started cutting.

I have used CPVC without glue for nearly all my brews. At first I worried about it coming loose, but it never has and now I don't even think about it while stirring. I do make sure not to hit the manifold while stirring though. When I push the fittings together they get really tight. It's actually difficult to break it all the way down for cleaning sometimes.

On another note, what the hell is that first manifold made out of?

Okay, I am somewhat new to the brewing process, but could you not use a false bottom in addition to the manifold? That would prevent your fear of breaking the connections of the unglued manifold... just a thought, perhaps there is a reason not to use both... Just my two cents, cheers!

Here is the design that I've been using:
2yxf0c5.jpg

Slots are displayed upwards for reference. Vertically, the front and back sections fit very snugly against the cooler. Horizontily, the elbows and t's are jammed together pretty tight. I don't see this coming apart at any time soon.

I know my design is less than ideal but again, I'm batching sparging.

...could you not use a false bottom in addition to the manifold?
Seems like overkill. Why not just make a false bottom a call it a day?

If I ever come to a point where my manifold starts coming apart, I'm going to just glue it. Honestly, I don't understand everybody's emphasis on spotless manifolds that require a full breakdown between sessions. I didn't even fully deburr mine after I cut the slots. I cleaned out the big stuff and gave it a rinse but anything left behind became an addition to my grain bed during vourlauf.

I have a similar copper manifold and the same worry about it coming apart. One idea I had, but haven't tried yet is to drill a small hole at each junction where a tube goes into an elbow. Drill the hole from the top through the elbow and tube and only penetrate the top of each. Now drop a short piece of stiff copper wire (12 ga. ?) through the hole to hold the pieces in place - the wire should fit snugly in the hole. Bend the wire over at a right angle on the top so it doesn't fall into the hole, and maybe put a kink in the middle so you have to maneuver it into the hole - the kink will prevent it from coming out when you stir. Seems to me this would hold everything together, but still be pretty easy to take apart for cleaning.

There is a potential disadvantage with the method I described earlier. With holes in the top of the manifold, the siphon will be broken as soon as the liquid level gets down to the top of the manifold instead of down to the top of the slots in the bottom of the manifold. This would leave more wort in the MLT; i.e., more dead space and less efficiency. Probably more significant an effect in a large area square cooler than in a round one.

I like the OP's top picture. It's similar to mine, but I used a barb and hose to connect the manifold to the spigot. This allows me to easily lift it up for cleaning without undoing the connection.

Back