Cask Conditioned imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i'm new to home brewing and was interested in brewing an imperial stout and then cask conditioning it. has anyone in here attempted this yet? and if successful, how long did you leave it in the primary and how long did you let it condition in the cask?

What exactly are you trying to do? Serve from a cask, but it in an oak barrel or just bulk age it? On my last RIS, I transferred it to a keg and let it condition for around 6 months.

i was going to put 5L of the 5 gallon batch into a mini keg and serve it as cask conditioned, the rest will go into a carboy for secondary and then bottled. I was just wondering how long i should leave the 5L in the mini keg for.

Ah I see. It really depends on how big the stout is. Its going to take 2+ weeks for it to natrually carbonate in the keg.

I usually do around a month in the primary for big beers, then at least another month in whatever serving vessel I'm using (bottle, cask, keg etc). I think that would be a pretty good start. If its over 8%, you might even give it more time. The RIS I brewed ~10 months ago was great after 6 months, and is even better now.

thanks for the suggestions, the RIS i'm going to try this I'm going to shoot for around 9%, so we'll see how it comes out. I'm probably not going to brew this one until around august so it'll be ready for the winter time.

When you put it in the keg for 6 mounth, did you use a air lock or seal it up like you where done with it? If you sealed it did you add any other thing to the beer like champain yeast? I ask because i want to cask condition half of my RIP stout. If I fill it and place it in a 60-70 degree spot for 6 mounth will this be good?

Latest posts

Back