Calibrate your ale pale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhs668

Reaction score
I've brewed 5 batches of beer thus far and have always relied on my ale pail's scientific on the side gallon marking system to get me to 5 gallons of beer.

Yesterday, I used a newly purchased ale pail to make my second batch of the world famous apfelwein. As I started pouring in the last half gallon bottle of mott's which would top me off at 5 gallons I noticed the level in the bucket was pretty much already at the 5 gallon mark on the pail. I knew I bought ten bottles and actually stopped an recounted them all to see if I screwed up. Had I lost my mind and this is the 11th bottle? Nope 10 total. I kept about a glass full in the last bottle and ended up to a level about the bottom plastic ridge that protrudes from the bucket.

Now I wonder have I lost 2.5 gallons of possible already made beer relying on the pail's accurate 5 gallon mark? Is it this pail? Is Mott's giving away more than a half gallon of apple juice in their half gallon bottle? Has anyone ever actually calibrated their pail?

Did you already add the sugar to the apple juice when you noticed the incorrect measurement? If so, then it should be correct as the sugar will increase the volume of what is inside the pail.

OK, I'm an idiot, I forgot about that.

The question is valid however. You do need to calibrate your buckets. If the screen printing of the lines is off, you will be off in your measurements. Remember those lines are being put on there in a fast moving factory line and they could easily be off by a quart or two.

Back