long Krausen ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springer

Reaction score
I brewed a Saison last Sunday . I had a very active fermentation and its still going strong but this is the first time the the Krausen hasn't fallen at all, its been like this for 4 days.I have it on the second floor in my garage which stays about 75-85 all day and night. Last night we a cold snap 40* so I put it in an unused chest freezer with a gallon jug of hot water. It stayed right at 78-80 all night.Is this normal for the style?

krausen3.JPG

Every beer is different, and every fermentation is different. Even in two identical beers and the same yeast strain.

Remember we are dealing with living microorganisms, so there is a great deal of unpredictability, and they have their own agendas.

The yeast will drop it's krauzen when it is done doing what it needs to do with it.

RDWHAHB! :D

When the yeast finish partying they will eventually pass out. I mean if you were reproducing like that for 4 days straight would you want it to stop?! :ban:

It fell over the weekend , its still going pretty strong so I will wait till the end of the week to take a reading. Shooting for single digits on the hydro from .070

It fell over the weekend , its still going pretty strong so I will wait till the end of the week to take a reading. Shooting for single digits on the hydro from .070

It took my first hefe almost 3 weeks for the krausen to fall. I'm glad I waited. At 2 weeks it tasted like ass. 3 weeks it tasted splended.

I took a sample last night. It was at .009/.010 so no stuck fermentation and tasted pretty good not as much spice /pepper that I wanted but was still tasty. I will leave it sit for another week and then transfer to secondary and maybe add some orange zest/coriander .

All in all my experiment with harvesting Dupont and Hennepin saison yeast was a success

Back