Forgot to add corriander and orange peel to Wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalhophead

Reaction score
I made a tragic error last night. I was brewing hoegarden clone and did everything perfectly except I forgot to add the corriander and orange peel to the boil. I'm so upset. Is there anything I can do to impart those flavors in the fermenter? Can I make a tincture? Can I somehow make a small amount of wort boiled with them and add? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fred

I think a tincture is the way to go. Take some vodka and soak the coriander and peel in it. Strain and add to taste when you bottle.

I can't really help you out with your dilemma here but was wondering if you set all your ingredients out when you brew? I put them all out on the counter in the order they go in and then set my timer to go off when it's time to add each item to the boil. Just one thing that makes brew day easier. I'm always paranoid I'm going to forget to add something at the right time or forget it all together.

Even without the coriander and orange peel, you'll have a tasty beer. Look up SWMBO Slayer, which is a really popular recipe here. I bet your spice-less Hoegaarden recipe looks a lot like SWMBO Slayer.

Do a secondary after 2 weeks or so and add it the. You will get better taste doing it this way. I do the secondry all the time, works better for this type of brew.

Ok so just put all the coriander and orange peel in a hopsack and siphon the beer onto it when transfering to the secondary? How is that any different than just puting it in the primary? I had planned not to secondary it since its a wheat beer. What would happen if I boiled everything in a few cups of water and added it?

Soak it in vodka for 24 hours then add it in a hop bag. Same process as dry hopping. I would guess you could do it in the primary but the beer will clear up nicer in the secondary but that my opinion. Did want to open a can of worms on the last statement.

Back