Help... i think i messed up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I posted a thread earlier stating I was brewing a english ipa from a true brew kit. My og was 1.053 but after 7 days only dropped to 1.020. now at the 2 week mark ( after I moved to a warmer room and raised off the floor I have 1.018 for the last two days. I bottled tonight using 5oz of corn sugar My question is was that alright to bottle ? the kit said it should have finished after 7 days to 1.014 - 1.012 but the advice I got from this forum was it was probably all the yeast could do. I wanted to see if everyone thought me bottling was ok or did I just make bottle bombs ? thanks for the input.

Sounds like you did everything to help the yeast get the job done. I'm sure it'll be fine. As the say, RDWHAHB. It's really true.

It'll probably be OK.

If you are worried about popping caps off you could move the bottles into rubbermaid storage containers. That would make clean up easier.

Thanks for the advice I feel a bit better. I just want my first batch to come out alright. i'm probably over thinking the whole thing.

I'm sure it's fine. You're not that far off from the expect F.G. of the beer. It's more than likely a water volume variance. The recipe is calling for exactly 5 gallons and you ended up with 4.75 or something to that affect.

Again. Don't worry about it. You'll have a great beer, even if it is a touch sweet.

I'm sure it's fine. You're not that far off from the expect F.G. of the beer. It's more than likely a water volume variance. The recipe is calling for exactly 5 gallons and you ended up with 4.75 or something to that affect.

Again. Don't worry about it. You'll have a great beer, even if it is a touch sweet.
exactly I ended up with about 4.5 to 4.75...... so if that much evaporates it will change the FG?

yes, but very little. the main difference in the expected fg might also have been due to lme. liquid extract VERY rarely ferments below 1.018

dme does a little better as far as lowering the fg, but it's all up to your tastes. find what you like, and what fits your capabilities, and go for it. you can brew good beer any way you choose, you just have to know what to expect from your style of brewing

liquid extract VERY rarely ferments below 1.018

This is the first time I've heard this and it doesn't match my experience. I only have a three LME batches to go on, but all of them have fermented below 18. According to my notes, they've terminated at: 1.012, 1.010 and 1.012.

It's hard to draw very much information from just three batches, of course.

I can back that up. My 1st batch's OG was1.048,finished at FG of 1.012. This batch started with an OG of 1.044,we'll se what the FG turns out to be. Maybe next week?...

I gotta also agree, I am only two batches in, both were LME and both came in under 1.015.

I'd love to know where this rarely below 1.020 comes from.

Latest posts

Back