The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first pizzas made with stuff from the garden. Our drought is over... for a year. So far jalapeno and zucchini plus a bunch of herbs. More to come. Got some nice San Marzano coming in. Apparently this will be the year of spaghetti squash for breakfast, lunch, and dinner as well. Get ready for my "spaghetti" and meatball pie.

View attachment 1495761800091.jpg

View attachment 1495761812643.jpg

Rain kept us inside last night. It had been a while since I made pizzas. This is probably my 4th or 5th attempt and was really happy with this. I used a cheese blend this time that provided some great flavor. Made a pep/cheese for kids, and then pep/onion and sausage/onion for me and the wife. Used Roberta's dough recipe and cooked on pizza screens in my oven at 550f.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1496063043.576006.jpg

Is there a tried and true recipe for:
Sauce
Dough

Seems in different parts of the world and country different approaches are acceptable. I for one really dislike the taste of "raw sauce", I don't eat pizza anywhere other than NY metro, Long Island, and southern Italy. This is after I've eaten crappy so-called NY pizza during various travels. Raw sauce, raw dough, nasty cheese you name it. The pizza always looked and often smelled good, but was aweful. A good marinara sauce that you cook or if you're not against a quality jar sauce, which are pricey but worth it get one you like. The crust I don't have the perfect recipie myself yet. :). But, again it depends on what you like. My 2centsn.

Tonight made pizza, but, I feel I am on to something. My plan was to try parchment paper. Removing it as soon as I could as it cooks. Tired of messing with cheap steel peel. Well, after throwing the first pie on the parchment, I liked how it was moving. I was waiting for my wife to get home with sauce, so I covered it, you know, to keep it moist. And I started gently pressing, realizing that the slide of it all was creating a good medium for stretching the pizza thin and round. After sitting a few min., the saran wrap came right off. No fuss, no mess, as you can see prepped 4 pies. They came out surprisingly thick. Seems the thin pizza is stretched about the thickness of a quarter. The parchment came out and under right away, boom! I loved the ease of this and will do it again.

View attachment 1496117644612.jpg

View attachment 1496117652117.jpg

View attachment 1496117662362.jpg

View attachment 1496117670874.jpg

View attachment 1496117690587.jpg

View attachment 1496117704593.jpg

Drool. Does anyone have tips for me? I'm planning a date night with the gf and I think I'll do homemade pizzas instead.. hopefully she will taste the love I put into the pies..

Is a sprayed oven at high temp a good idea if I don't have a stone?

Tonight made pizza, but, I feel I am on to something. My plan was to try parchment paper. Removing it as soon as I could as it cooks. Tired of messing with cheap steel peel. Well, after throwing the first pie on the parchment, I liked how it was moving. I was waiting for my wife to get home with sauce, so I covered it, you know, to keep it moist. And I started gently pressing, realizing that the slide of it all was creating a good medium for stretching the pizza thin and round. After sitting a few min., the saran wrap came right off. No fuss, no mess, as you can see prepped 4 pies. They came out surprisingly thick. Seems the thin pizza is stretched about the thickness of a quarter. The parchment came out and under right away, boom! I loved the ease of this and will do it again.

Good post, my friend. I got sick of dough sticking to peel or corn meal flying all over the kitchen. I use the peel to slide the parchment and dough on to the stone, and then slide the parchment put from under the pizza after the first minute in the oven.

It works incredibly well.

Not sure I understand what "sprayed oven" means. Truth is there is no short cuts. This thread is almost 4000 posts of all of us trying to impress of gf's so to speak. I think practice with stretching/dough handling and cold ferments are the best way to invest your effort...
Porcini pie...

View attachment 1496119267783.jpg

Not sure I understand what "sprayed oven" means. Truth is there is no short cuts. This thread is almost 4000 posts of all of us trying to impress of gf's so to speak. I think practice with stretching/dough handling and cold ferments are the best way to invest your effort...
Porcini pie...

The sprayed oven is the effect of a light spray of water to the ovens inner surface during it's highest heat, helps promote a tighter more crusted dough due to steaming effect of the cooking. At least that's what I understand from bread..

Hmm I think I'll have to research a bit, I found a NY bread dough recipe that someone shared.. but I am a hypocrite. I don't answer questions during lab that students ask when they are in the lab manual.. sorry for that

Good post, my friend. I got sick of dough sticking to peel or corn meal flying all over the kitchen. I use the peel to slide the parchment and dough on to the stone, and then slide the parchment put from under the pizza after the first minute in the oven.

It works incredibly well.

Definitely incredibly well, and I am sure I got the idea from you earlier in this thread. Thanks!

The sprayed oven is the effect of a light spray of water to the ovens inner surface during it's highest heat, helps promote a tighter more crusted dough due to steaming effect of the cooking. At least that's what I understand from bread..

Hmm I think I'll have to research a bit, I found a NY bread dough recipe that someone shared.. but I am a hypocrite. I don't answer questions during lab that students ask when they are in the lab manual.. sorry for that

Ok, basically simulating a Dutch oven effect. As in a ciabatta or the like. It's worth trying. If you do, report back. A lot of what pizza cooks do seems to be focused on drying the crust out. The shorter cook times probably play a factor as well.

I think steam would be counter productive on a screened pizza. On a stone or steal, it would probably not be noticable. Steam is used to keep outer crust soft in extended bakes. Doesn't really apply to pizza.

I really like the stamped/punched aluminum quick disks. A solid disc with quarter inch holes punched across it. They get hot enough that sticking isn't an issue.
I start on those, with the pie under the stone, then transfer to the stone to finish, while I load a second pie under the stone.
qdf40.jpg

I'm going to start putting together Laheys no knead dough tomorrow for a few pies Friday night. I've always just used store bought dough wish the exception of a few times. Wish me luck.

Next time I need to stretch the dough more.. but hell yeah not bad for a first attempt 🍕

Nice work. Stretching dough is a whole thread unto itself. Not easy and there are plenty of ways to go about it. It's not the most romantic way to go about it but a little rolling pin, especially at the beginning will help. In my experience most weak spots are caused way before they show themselves. If you can get a somewhat circular skin started and then try the more tricky hands-on stuff later you get a little more malleable dough. The idea being that a more evenly thin skin won't pull in any specific direction once it's up in the air stretching under it's own weight. It's really hard to get perfect hand stretched pie...until it's not.:mug:

That is very encouraging.. until it isn't. Ha ha ha see what I did :mug: But yes I will have to look into that and will definitely take your tips, until they are perfect I shall be eating rustic pizza

Round pizzas are over-rated! Just call them rustic. As they say... The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Imperfect = rustic
Burnt = cajun
Dropped it in the dirt = random (give it "randomly" to the person you like least)

It's all good.

RevKev. With that dough recipe, I've found it more forgiving when you cold ferment for 2 days, pull it out and rest, covered, at room temp for an hour(~50°). Then, stretch while it is still a little cool and rest the stretched skin while the oven heats. Just be cautious of sticking as the dough will sweat a bit when still cold.
I'm not a big fan of rolling pins past the very beginning as they really screw up the cell structure of the dough. Best not to worry about crust/edge starting out. Just shoot for consistency. Trying to get a consistent crust is hard enough. Don't be afraid to trim the edges back to round before or after stretching.
Oh, and stay out of the middle, just work the edges.

Shape it first, then let it rise. Makes it easier to stretch in the shape you want.

Oblong irregular ugly crust is still good!

Buffalo chicken

w6qsg8.jpg

I thought this vid was helpful to me. I use this guy's method for shaping the pie. It works for me:

https://youtu.be/FNCuzBXmZtY

I also use a Ninja blender with the dough blade to make nice dough balls for me, similar to this video, but I get well kneaded, warm balls right out of the machine.

All very very helpful thank you!

I will take those in mind as this Sunday is the dinner date with he gf. I'm cooking.

Weezy is that blue cheese or ranch? Bc you're in PA I don't know if you would be a ranch fellow

Love that. That's how my country momma made burritos when I was growing up. Being in l.a. and immersed in Mexican culture with a mom from Idaho/kansas/iowa. Hungry now.

I actually love tortilla pizzas, or pita pizzas - quick and dirty and tasty!

When I was 10-16, I would stuff pita with spaghetti sauce and shredded moz and stick it in the toaster, slit up, for 4-5 cycles. 12 yo me didnt think it could get any better than that.

For those having trouble with pies sticking to the peel, check this out. Best investment I ever made for homemade pizza. It has allowed us to go looser on the dough, thinner on the crust, and still get it in the oven in a round shape.

EXO Super Peel
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T6OVPO

Price has gone up since I bought one 5 years ago, but mine is still going strong after all these years!

All very very helpful thank you!

I will take those in mind as this Sunday is the dinner date with he gf. I'm cooking.

Weezy is that blue cheese or ranch? Bc you're in PA I don't know if you would be a ranch fellow

Both actually. Ranch is baked in (family preferred the ranch baked and not added after). Blue cheese drizzle on top.

Need some tips. When shaping the dough before adding toppings, what is the best way to deal with sticky dough? Just flour, wet hands or olive oil?

Need some tips. When shaping the dough before adding toppings, what is the best way to deal with sticky dough? Just flour, wet hands or olive oil?

I prefer flour. Easy to sprinkle on and you can get most of it off by slapping the dough around between your hands. I follow the method @icebob uses when shaping his dough. Look at his photos. He makes a small dome in the middle and presses that down and shapes it. Works really well

I prefer flour. Easy to sprinkle on and you can get most of it off by slapping the dough around between your hands. I follow the method @icebob uses when shaping his dough. Look at his photos. He makes a small dome in the middle and presses that down and shapes it. Works really well

Cool thanks! I'll check the photos out.

Cool thanks! I'll check the photos out.

Use a little less water next time. Or rather try to dose the water slowly and only put just enough in to get a nice stretchy dough going. You'll get the hang of it before you know it.

Are you using high gluten flour? It really, really makes a noticeable difference. A little more than half my flour is high gluten. You can get big bags at GFS.

Anybody try Kyrol flour?

Back