off smell in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kr651129

Reaction score
hi everyone! I just started my first wine kit a little over a week ago. I used Diablo rojo from wine experts. I noticed an odd smell during fermentation in the primary. after it was in the primary for 6 days I moved it to the carboy. After 3 days in the carboy the smell has seemed to gon away and is now starting to smell like wine. Is this Normal? Do I need to worry about it or make any changes to male sure I don't ruine anything?

It is normal. Wine goes through a lot of changes real quick when fermentation takes off and most of the time it smells like crap. It will be fine. Stay thirsty my friends.

I still have a hard time with the smell when racking to the secondary. Mead is the most offensive to me, and the wonderful people on this forum have lent their knowledge, to where I have not used my "HOT" mead as drain cleaner. Months down the road...it was pure nectar!!!

Latest posts

Back