Brewing Now And Have Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you will need between 6 and 6.5 gal of wort pre-boil to get 5-5.25 in the fermenter.
If you are doing all-grain you should aim to get this from your sparge. If you run short you can top up either pre-boil or post boil. The only difference is it may affect your hops utilization a small amount.
Craig

I lose approximately 1/2 gallon per 30 minutes of boil time.... and I like to plan for 1/2 gallon over my batch size... for checking gravity and all. cheers, -p

WormBoy said:
you the man craig
So it sounds like I bump up my spage volume.
Thanks

With one caveat. If you increase your sparge volume too much you may find that the end runnings pH will rise sufficiently to start leeching tannins etc which are undesirable. In that case you would stop sparging and just add water to your wort pre-boil to bring it up to the volume you need.

I sure don't know where you guys boil at but I lose on an average almost 1 1/3 gallons per hour where I live.

Latest posts

Back