Hibiscus flowers soda w/ yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owlman

Reaction score
I like hibiscus flower drinks (often called Agua de Jamaica in Hispanic markets); it's a similar flavor to Red Zinger herbal tea if you've ever had that. Dried flowers steeped for a few minutes + sweetener + ice + flat or carbonated water = yum. :D

Anyway I've been trying to homebrew some hibiscus soda, with yeast, but haven't had luck. First time I let it sit with the flowers still in it in the fermenter for 1 day before bottling. It developed an unpleasant slightly rotten vegetableish smell. I bottled some anyway; came out nice and fizzy, taste was OK, but that odor made them undrinkable. I assumed the batch was contaminated, so...
...I tried another small 1/2 gal batch, this time removing the flowers after steeping about 15 min, and then bringing to a boil again. I started bottling immediately after adding the yeast, but I could already smell that same odor forming while I was filling the bottles.

I'm wondering if there's some unpleasant reaction that's always going to happen. Has anyone successfully brewed with hibiscus flowers and champagne yeast?

edit:
Well, this thread says hibiscus wines and meads work out ok. Maybe I just need to let it sit in the bottles for a longer time.

No but I've been thinking about using hibiscus for a while, I know it's possible because several years ago there was a commercial hibiscus hard iced tea around in the Bay Area. It was 6% and was really f'ing good. Just found an old article about it http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-95374671.html

I haven't seen the stuff for years but I bet the guy would be willing to help.

Well, after sitting for a week it's a little better. Still has a bit of a funky aroma but not as bad. Flavor is good otherwise. Color and carbonation are great. Great head retention for a soda! I might dilute it more or use fewer flowers in the future. Also I think I'll add some yeast nutrient to try to reduce the sulfur smell.

I'm going to try a "hard" version next time :D

How much hibiscus are you using? I've made a mead from the herbal tea, but I also added some rose water.

I think it was about 10 or 12 dried flowers (or calyxes, rather) for half a gallon. A bit strong IMHO, I'll probably do 1 flower/cup next time. It must depend on the flower type/source, because I've seen recipes that recommend a lot more.

Latest posts

Back