Earthy Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cge0

Reaction score
I was looking at my NB catalog, and I noticed the Trappist Ale Yeast can ferment at under 65 for earthy flavors. I'm looking to brew something earthy since I enjoy earthy teas. Any ideas on recipes? I'm looking for an AG.

So do you like Pu-Erh then? :D

Hmm earthy eh? That's a tricky one. I'd look for something that has possibly a rather flat malt profile (low carmel, etc) possibly a small amount of Rye or Smoked malt (very small amount) and a Noble hops schedule in the 20-25 IBU range. Pride of Ringwood is described as being 'earthy' but I have never tried it myself. I could formulate something off the top of my head but it would be AG.

Polish Marynka hops have a great earthy tone to them. I used them for bitter and flavor in a trappist type ale. They had them at northernbrewer not long ago, so I suspect you can still get em.

zoebisch01 said:
So do you like Pu-Erh then? :D

Hmm earthy eh? That's a tricky one. I'd look for something that has possibly a rather flat malt profile (low carmel, etc) possibly a small amount of Rye or Smoked malt (very small amount) and a Noble hops schedule in the 20-25 IBU range. Pride of Ringwood is described as being 'earthy' but I have never tried it myself. I could formulate something off the top of my head but it would be AG.

I'm looking to do AG, so its all good. Sounds pretty good if you'd formulate one, I'd be interested.

Back