The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried every kind/recipe for dough I can think of... but always come back to this emergency dough recipe from Lehmann for a New York style...

100%, flour, 7.14 oz. (202.26 g.), 1 3/4 c. plus 1 t.
63%, Water*, 4.49 oz. (127.42 g.), between 1/2 and 5/8 c.
1.75%, Salt, 0.12 oz. (3.54 g.), 5/8 t.
1%, Oil (extra-virgin olive oil), 0.07 oz. (2.02 g.), a bit less than 1/2 t.
0.7%, Instant dry yeast (IDY), 0.05 oz. (1.42 g.), a bit less than 1/2 t.

This is for 1 12" pie, I usually triple the recipe, put all the ingredients in the bread machine on dough cycle. I make the dough on Wednesday so it's ready for Thursday (pizza night here!) when done in the bread machine, ball it ( 3 balls) in the fridge overnight and get my son to take it out around 2:00 pm on Thursday. By 6:00pm it's room temp, easy to open. So far my best pies are done with this recipe...

For the flour, I use Caputo Americana 00
http://brickovenbaker.com/Pizza/Flour-Repacks/Antimo-Caputo-00-Americana-Pizza-Flour-20-Lbs

P.S. Do yourself a favor and weight the ingredients on a scale... really better result. If you use regular AP flour, adding a tablespoon or 2 of wheat gluten will gives you a nice puffy/airy crust.

Thursday night, Pizza night! pepperoni, brisket, sopressata, copa, red onions, mushroom, jalapeno, olives,fresh mozz and to wash it down, PizzaPort, Shark Bite Red clone fresh from the keg!

2016-06-30 17.57.55.jpg

2016-06-30 18.21.59.jpg

2016-06-30 18.23.56.jpg

I have so much trouble with sticking. Especially with the moist no knead. how do you get those pizzas off the peel?

How do you get those pizzas off the peel?

What's your process of assembling the pies?

I use a little corn meal on the peel, then build the pies right on the peel (mine is wood). I try to be as quick as possible. Some don't like the idea of using corn meal. It doesn't bother me, but you could also use semolina or plain flour.

You can also build the pie on the counter, then slide it on the peel right before launch. I haven't had much luck with that method.

Give it a little shake to make sure it's loose before you go to launch it.

Thanks gromitdj, yeah same. Cornmeal on peel, make on peel and try to be quick. Not sure how much cornmeal to use. Last time experimented with more, think it helped. A lot of times when i shimmy it on the toppings go flying and it sucks. Once its stuck how do you save it? Thanks need to get this dialed in.

Once its stuck how do you save it? Thanks need to get this dialed in.

Is your peel wood? Mine really doesn't stick that bad unless I take too long, or forget the corn meal. But I have had it stick so bad that I've thrown the pizza in the trash (cursing along the way)

I've heard you can lift the edge and blow in between to free it up.

Have you been to the forum @ pizzamaking.com? There are some really good tips to be had over there.

Once its stuck how do you save it? Thanks need to get this dialed in.

I save it by cursing loudly and excessively until it comes free.

The best thing to do is not give it a chance to stick in the first place. I use semolina on the peel, plus a LIGHT fresh coat of flour on the dough (raw flour tastes like ass and had dusty texture). Your hydration needs to be right too. And you need to work quick. Everything needs to be sitting out ready to put it together. To prevent the ingredient slide i will give it one final shake after i sauce/cheese it but before i top it. If i see any sticky spots i'll dust a rim of flour around the pizza then use an offset spatula to spread it underneath it.

If you're still mastering the peel there are 2 other tricks i can suggest:
1. Drop the dough onto parchment paper. After 90 seconds you can lightly lift the pizza and pull the dough out. I use a spatula to lift and tongs to pull the paper out.
2. Par bake. If you need to make a bunch of pizzas this is a great go-to method, but i don't think the dough texture is quite the same since it bakes the whole crust without toppings on top.

I gave up and just use high-temp rated parchment on my peel. Form the dough, top, and slide onto the stone (with the parchment); after ~120 seconds, pull the parchment and finish cooking. No more stress of sticking. I actually lost a stone once due to sticking. Ended up with a gob of pizza dough, sauce and toppings on the stone, and when I took it out of the oven and tried to clean it while it was still too hot, it cracked....

I do sometimes rub some flour onto the peel before dusting it with cornmeal. I'll probably switch to Semolina when I run out of corn meal, but I use so little it might be a while.

I forgot you're using the no knead dough. I believe that's a pretty wet dough. Don't be afraid to dust it pretty good with flour while your stretching it. I'm willing to bet that is part of your problem. The parchment paper trick is probably a good thing to try also.

I rinsed my stone off the first time I used it, and have never washed it again. Anything that gets on it quickly burns and I scrape it off.

I do sometimes rub some flour onto the peel before dusting it with cornmeal. I'll probably switch to Semolina when I run out of corn meal, but I use so little it might be a while.

I forgot you're using the no knead dough. I believe that's a pretty wet dough. Don't be afraid to dust it pretty good with flour while your stretching it. I'm willing to bet that is part of your problem. The parchment paper trick is probably a good thing to try also.

I rinsed my stone off the first time I used it, and have never washed it again. Anything that gets on it quickly burns and I scrape it off.

I agree on not washing it. The heat cleans it off just fine.

I use semolina on the peel and give the peel a shake once in a while to make sure the pie is moving. I build the pie on the peel, by the time I'm all done dressing them, the dough's on the peel a good 20 minutes...

Wow thanks for the tips gromitdj, schematix, az, and icebob. Super cool of you. Parchment i think sounds like a great solution. The problem is not just the pizza sticking but the toppings flying off when i shake it on. I'm getting a little tired of all the cornmeal everywhere as well. I wonder if wood works better than metal. I don't know how you let it sit 20 minutes icebob mine seems stuck after 2. I might give it one last chance using some of these tips but if it doesn't work I think I'm just going to try the parchment. When my pizza gets screwed up I usually roll it up or fold it up and throw it on. Some of those come out pretty tasty

Wow thanks for the tips gromitdj, schematix, az, and icebob. Super cool of you. Parchment i think sounds like a great solution. The problem is not just the pizza sticking but the toppings flying off when i shake it on. I'm getting a little tired of all the cornmeal everywhere as well. I wonder if wood works better than metal. I don't know how you let it sit 20 minutes icebob mine seems stuck after 2. I might give it one last chance using some of these tips but if it doesn't work I think I'm just going to try the parchment. When my pizza gets screwed up I usually roll it up or fold it up and throw it on. Some of those come out pretty tasty

Metal is horrible for sticking unless you cake it in flour and work fast. I would never own a metal peel unless i had an 800F+ oven that required it.

Hydration is a big factor too. A stiff dough may not stick at all. Wet dough will unless you deploy countermeasures. Everyones dough is going to be a little different.

Parchment is good for ease, but it isn't great for the texture on the bottom (makes it smooth rather than bumpy and impedes browning a little). I used this method for a bit while i got more comfortable with handling the dough on the peel. I recommend it to a lot of people since its fool proof and the negatives aren't that bad, it's just better if you can do it without.

It is tricky to do perfectly but with practice you'll get better and better at it. It looks easy, but there is a finesse to it and if you screw up you may not be eating pizza for dinner.

Thanks again you both. The answer is clear get a wood peel and dry dough up a little. Man those are good prices. I have shopped on them, my 15 gallon pot was like 60 bucks and I'm eyeing a 30 gallon pot for 60. I also got my stainless steel table for my laundry room from them.

Flour, flour, flour and flour. Also I make sure to tell all making their pizzas at the house to use flour, lots of flour.

I have lifted edges and tossed flour in until it came loose. Though, had they used enough flour, it wouldn't have been a problem. So make sure there is flour.

Flour.

Flour, flour, flour and flour. Also I make sure to tell all making their pizzas at the house to use flour, lots of flour.

I have lifted edges and tossed flour in until it came loose. Though, had they used enough flour, it wouldn't have been a problem. So make sure there is flour.

Flour.

You're being kind of ambiguous. It's ok to be direct and tell us exactly what you're thinking.

I need a little help gents, its probably been covered but this is one BIG thread so I going to ask.

How do I get the crust to form into the round pizza shape? I've tried flipping it, it tears, and rolling it, oblong I can do round never.

Please I know you can help I've seen the pictures :)

Atb. Aamcle

Practice. Ck out some you tube videos to get the idea. Over time you'll learn to keep one hand on the dough while stretching with the other on a floured surface. You'll feel and see the reaction of the dough and know when to move to a different section to keep from tearing it. You'll learn to slap it and turn it. Repeat. Tossing it in the air uses centrifugal force to form a circle.

Here's an example. There are a bazillion more. http://youtu.be/2pb5Fi9t2Ds

I need a little help gents, its probably been covered but this is one BIG thread so I going to ask.

How do I get the crust to form into the round pizza shape? I've tried flipping it, it tears, and rolling it, oblong I can do round never.

Please I know you can help I've seen the pictures :)

Atb. Aamcle

If you want a perfect circle then stretch it into a round pizza pan then par bake it....

I normally take the floured ball (baseball size) and lightly press it into a disc about 3/4" thick by maybe 6" diameter. Then i pick it up from the edges and quickly turn it bit by bit until it stretches out. Then i make 2 fists and just keep stretching from the edge (never the center) and rotating, varying the speed based on the shape its taking. Once it's a little bigger than needed (or its getting too thin) i flop it out on the peel. It then gets one final stretch to correct the shape.

The next part is delivering to the stone at the same rate it comes off the peel so that you don't stretch it. Truthfully only 50% of my pizzas i could ever call a circle.

I've never been successful with tossing, and never really found it necessary.

Used flour and cornmeal on the peel. Also tried to use a little more flour on the dough. No problem sticking and was able to throw pizzas as big as the small peel. Only problem the bottom had too much flour on it when eating. Oscar Meyer all beef premium hot dogs and green pepper variety from garden. Nothing but the best you know. 2 out of five was circularish. I think I'm going to try to experiment with cooking it a little longer. Bread machine dough meh.

View attachment 1467587167388.jpg

View attachment 1467587180861.jpg

View attachment 1467587194947.jpg

Italian sausage, red onion, roasted garlic and fresh basil; tweaked my dough recipe a bit with all bread flour this time, salt and olive oil, turned out great.

IMG_0782_zps5ngdegwu.jpg

It's been some time since I last posted updates on my product. It's getting close to our kickstarter campaign now. This pie was made without an oven, using only glass cooktop in my kitchen. Cook time 3 minutes, max. temperature 460 celsius (aprox 860F).

What do you think?

DSC_0736.jpg

It's been some time since I last posted updates on my product. It's getting close to our kickstarter campaign now. This pie was made without an oven, using only glass cooktop in my kitchen. Cook time 3 minutes, max. temperature 460 celsius (aprox 860F).

What do you think?

I don't get it.

Got some Neapolitan dough fermenting for Sunday. I will be cooking it in a real oven vs. the stovetop which I reserve for grilled cheese sandwiches.

I don't get it.

It's a product I'm working on. It's basically a steel pan/skillet with a steel lid. You heat it on your stove, throw in the pie and cover it for 3 minutes or so.

I really hate waiting for my oven to heat up, especially now in the summer, so I had to do something. This thing heats up in less than 10 minutes, while im making the pizza and the final product is decent enough, I think :)

Back