Krausen almost gone after two days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biologist

Reaction score
Hey all,
I recently brewed Brooklyn Brew Shop's IPA Everyday. The first day, the yeast were going to town and the blow off was bubbling rapidly. At the end of day two, the krausen is almost completely gone and the tiny co2 bubbles are very slow. I switched to the secondary and the airlock barely bubbles. Is this normal, or are my yeast dead? It's in a cool/dark place and hadn't been agitated or moved. Thanks in advance!

VP

Normal. You can (and probably should) leave the beer in primary longer than you did, so that the yeast can clean up after fermentation. But don't sweat it at this point. Let the beer sit in secondary for two weeks, and then you can probably bottle, assuming you will have steady hydrometer readings at that point.

well, it's completely normal for a fermentation to slow after a couple days. the mistake was moving the beer before fermentation was finished and FG was stable over 3 days. the yeast aren't dead, but when you transferred it, you undoubtedly left most of the yeast behind in primary. those yeast would've been useful in finishing that beer up.

Plus infinity. When the airlock slows or stops,that just means that initial,vigorous fermentation is over. But not done fermenting completely. It just slows down at that point till it ferments down to FG. It should've stayed in primary. All you can do now is ride it out,since there may be enough yeast left in suspension to finish. But they may get stressed & produce some off flavors,due to their lower numbers.

I think I worded my initial statement incorrectly. I transferred the chilled wort into a glass Carboy, then pitched it. After two days I removed the blow off and put the airlock on. I didn't transfer anything, sorry about the misleading statement. I was just wondering why in two days the krausen is almost completely gone. Thanks!

VP

I was just wondering why in two days the krausen is almost completely gone. Thanks!

VP

it just happens that way sometimes, it's completely normal. i've had the krausen up and down 48 hours after pitching before, and where thats not the norm (3-5 days) for krausen to drop back, it does happen and you shouldn't worry about it.

Back