Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought ahead. I bought three packets of Montrachet from AHS and have 5lbs of Dextrose on hand. Looks like i may be buying a new primary and zoning it for apfelwein-only usage.

efreem01 said:
Thought ahead. I bought three packets of Montrachet from AHS and have 5lbs of Dextrose on hand. Looks like i may be buying a new primary and zoning it for apfelwein-only usage.

I did just that. I bought a couple of better bottles for the continuing production of the Apfelwein. I need to get a large mouth funnel or something though for the larger bags of dextrose.

phooka said:
I did just that. I bought a couple of better bottles for the continuing production of the Apfelwein. I need to get a large mouth funnel or something though for the larger bags of dextrose.

I find there is no savings for a 5# bag compared to five 1# bags, so I buy the small bags and it's premeasured for me. I use a big funnel to pour my Apfelwein in my Better Bottle, but pour the dextrose direct from the bag in the apple juice jug.

Well, my first batch of Apfelwein is almost gone 1 week after kegging. All my friends keep comming over to drink it. They all say the beer that I have kegged right now is the best batch I have ever made, but they want the apfelwein before it runs out.

I think its going to be hard to keep production up to the level of their drinking. At least sunday 1 guy started up his own batch becuase his wife liked it so much.

Thanks Ed.

Jetsers said:
I think its going to be hard to keep production up to the level of their drinking.

Have an Apfelwein making party. Get some Better Bottles and have your friends bring over some apple juice. Have them watch and they'll learn and they now have skin in the game since they bought the juice.:D

Has anyone tried Wyeast Cider Yeast (3766)? I'm going to try a batch with it...

Wondering if I need a blow-off hose with it? I'm assuming I do.

I made up a three gallon batch using Ed Wort's original recipe and I'll be bottling it soon. We're going to back sweeten it with Splenda but SWMBO wants it carbonated as well. Any thoughts on how this should be done? Can I just add the priming sugar like a batch of beer and then just add the Splenda on top of it?

Thanks in advance!

yeah quickie question (more a reaffirmation) from those with experience, it'll be the one month mark for my original recipe apfelwein on the 4th and I want something to drink! I plan on kegging 3 out of the 5 gallons and bottling the rest. Its really no problem if I still see some co2 bubbles coming out right? Should I add some kind of stabilizer for the bottle version? I'd like the make the bottles sparkling but perhaps out of simplicity I'll keep those still for now, plus I have to know how the original is supposed to taste before I decide whats my favorite. I tried some a few days ago from the carboy and :cross: !!!! I want at this stuff. What pressure to you all serve your apfelwein at if you keg it?

here's my thanksgiving experiment:

4 gallon tree top
1 gallon cranberry cocktail
2 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
1 lb Clover honey
1 lb demerara sugar
Wyeast Sweet Mead 3766
nutrient & enegizer
1 cup raisens & 1 cup craisens after primary ferm has subsided

I tasted it and was pretty good.. I prolly would do 3 gallon tree top 2 gallon cocktail next time. I originally was going to do 1 gallon pure cranberry but chickened out and thought it would be too tart.

Hopleaf said:
here's my thanksgiving experiment:

4 gallon tree top
1 gallon cranberry cocktail
2 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
1 lb Clover honey
1 lb demerara sugar
Wyeast Sweet Mead 3766
nutrient & enegizer
1 cup raisens & 1 cup craisens after primary ferm has subsided

I tasted it and was pretty good.. I prolly would do 3 gallon tree top 2 gallon cocktail next time. I originally was going to do 1 gallon pure cranberry but chickened out and thought it would be too tart.

The raisens weren't a problem?

If so, that's Good... In my Cider book they suggest using raisens for a yeast pitching. The thought being that the raisens carry the natural wild yeasts.

You add them for natural ferments.

Schlenkerla said:
The raisens weren't a problem?

If so, that's Good... In my Cider book they suggest using raisens for a yeast pitching. The thought being that the raisens carry the natural wild yeasts.

You add them for natural ferments.

Oh hmm.. I wondered about the natural yeasts on them... I was going to add them for a different reason, I had been told they would improve the body.

The craisens I wanted to add just for more cranberry flavor.

Last night marked a month since I mixed up my apfelwein (following EdWort's original recipe), so I checked the hydrometer and had a taste. It tastes yummy, but the hydrometer read in the upper 1.020's. Plus, I don't think it's cleared up like it should have. I have no problem giving it more time if that's all I need to do, but should I be concerned about the gravity at this point? The temp in my basement's been between 62 - 66 the whole time. It bubbled away pretty good for 2-3 weeks, and now it's slowed down. There are still some tiny bubbles rising steadily to the top, but I don't know how often the airlock is bubbling. The only thing that I can think of is that after pouring the sugar in the half empty bottles, I didn't shake it up enough to dissolve it before pouring it in my carboy. Ended up with a thin layer of sugar on the bottom. Would that cause that sugar not to ferment? Just in case my hydrometer's off, I'll drop it in some water tonight and make sure it reads around 1.000. Thanks for the help!

Yep, we've found that fermenting in the 60s can double the fermentation time. Patience is needed here. I will clear to crystal clear if you give it time. Now go start another batch since you have time.

Ok I think I'm going to give this recipe a try. I'm going to follow EdWort's recipe, only I'm going to cut back to 1# of sugar instead of 2#, my friends and family won't appreciate it if its overstrong.

If I start it tonight it should be ready to go on Halloween which is also my daughter's birthday.

If anyone's made this without bottling it or carbonating it, would you mind telling me how it turned out ? I was thinking of leaving it in the carboy/fermenter and then putting it all in the bottling bucket and serving it right out of the tap at a Halloween party. If there is any left over, I thought I might bottle carbonate the rest and put some cinnamon or cranberry in there and let it rest for a Thanksgiving or Christmas gathering.

I had my batch (only one so far) fermenting at 70F and noticed it took almost 3 weeks to get down to 1.01ish and was very cloudy. Within the next week and a half it dropped to right around 1.000 (maybe less) and cleared up nicely.

Mutilated1 said:
Ok I think I'm going to give this recipe a try. I'm going to follow EdWort's recipe, only I'm going to cut back to 1# of sugar instead of 2#, my friends and family won't appreciate it if its overstrong.

One or two pounds, it won't make a difference except in the ABV. Taste will be the same.

Beerrific said:
I had my batch (only one so far) fermenting at 70F and noticed it took almost 3 weeks to get down to 1.01ish and was very cloudy. Within the next week and a half it dropped to right around 1.000 (maybe less) and cleared up nicely.

Seems like after the 3rd or 4th week it really starts to clear up. Bottled my 2nd batch on Saturday and I can't wait for it to be ready!

Anyone use Motts apple juice.
I'm christening my first carboy with a batch of Apfelwein but I don't have a wine theft to a sample for a gravity check. I didn't think of that until I had it all in the carboy.
I just need a rough idea of OG so I don't bottle to soon.

CatchinZs said:
I'm christening my first carboy with a batch of Apfelwein but I don't have a wine theft to a sample for a gravity check. I didn't think of that until I had it all in the carboy.

Wait till it clears and you stop seeing a steady stream of bubbles rising up the sides. Use a flashlight.

Does anyone know how long before the bottles are carb'd? I bottled my first batch last Saturday but somehow I doubt that the montrachet yeast has carb'd it yet.

It takes about 2 weeks from what some folks say. I force carb mine in the keg. I'll be popping a 32 oz. bottle tomorrow that I filled from the tap on Wednesday, so it will be interesting how much carbonation carried over.

Mine carbed up very quickly. IIRC, I open one after 5 days and it was very fizzy, at 10 days I think they were done.

shoot man, mines been in for almost a month and the gravity is 1.01 :( This stuff if going to be gone by the time its technically done because of all the "readings" I've had to take :cross: Sure is tasty thus far

CatchinZs said:
I used Motts because they don't carry Tree Topp where I am.

Mutilated1 said:
Ok I got mine going. I used "Sam's Choice" Apple Juice from Wall-Mart, 6 bottles @ $1.96 ea put me right at 5 gallons.

Ditto I used 8 96oz bottles to fill mine though ;)

If I like it I will be using Carboyzilla 13.5 Gallons or 18 bottles fer the next batch :rockin:

So today marks four weeks and one day since I made my initial 2 gallon batch. While it's cleared a lot, it's nowhere as clear as the original juice. Ed, I seem to remember a picture of a glass of Apfelwein on top of your kegerator, and if memory serves it was crystal clear and a little lighter in shade than straight apple juice.

Should I prime and bottle, or wait a week or two longer?

Batch #2 (5 gallon!) has been going a week now, still bubbling strong! Once it's done, I expect I'll keg & force carb and serve from a picnic tap in the garage brew-fridge.

BlindLemonLars said:
So today marks four weeks and one day since I made my initial 2 gallon batch. While it's cleared a lot, it's nowhere as clear as the original juice. Ed, I seem to remember a picture of a glass of Apfelwein on top of your kegerator, and if memory serves it was crystal clear and a little lighter in shade than straight apple juice.

Should I prime and bottle, or wait a week or two longer?

Batch #2 (5 gallon!) has been going a week now, still bubbling strong! Once it's done, I expect I'll keg & force carb and serve from a picnic tap in the garage brew-fridge.

My Apfelwein was in primary for almost three months. It clarified probably around the two month mark, I think. It turned out brilliantly clear and tasted awesome. :D

Shakz said:
Ditto I used 8 96oz bottles to fill mine though ;)

If I like it I will be using Carboyzilla 13.5 Gallons or 18 bottles fer the next batch :rockin:

What the heck is carboyzilla? I want one!

Okay...curiosity got the better of me. I just sanitized the old turkey baster, and stole about two ounces, depositing it into a small glass.

In the glass, it's clear as a bell, and very pale...much lighter than apple juice. (I poured a few oz of juice into an identical glass, for comparison.) Amazingly, it's somewhat carbonated already! While there is a strong yeasty nose, it doesn't taste overwhelmingly of yeast. The taste is, well....just imagine a glass of dry champagne with a slice of apple floating in it and you'll have some idea!

I think I'll go ahead and prime & bottle this first two gallon batch. This stuff is going to be great!

So I just made my first batch of apfelwein. I made the excuse to buy a new carboy and once I got all the stuff in there I realzed I didn't have anyway to take a SG reading since I didn't have a theif and I couldn't get the hydrometer out if I just dropped it in there.

So my question is if I followed the recipe exactly what will the OG be and what should the FG be?

I bottled my first batch today and added a cup of Splenda to sweeten and 2.5oz of corn sugar to carb in the bottle. I filled a sample bottle and chilled it a bit and it tastes excellent! Really, I'm sorry I only made three gallons, this stuff is awsome! I think I will purchase another three gallon carboy (I like doing small batches for some reason) and dedicate the two carboys to making 6 gallons of Apfelwein at a time from now on.

Wrey said:
So I just made my first batch of apfelwein. I made the excuse to buy a new carboy and once I got all the stuff in there I realzed I didn't have anyway to take a SG reading since I didn't have a theif and I couldn't get the hydrometer out if I just dropped it in there.

So my question is if I followed the recipe exactly what will the OG be and what should the FG be?

Your OG should be about 1.065 and it'll stop at 1.000 thus making it a dry but tasty 8.5% ABV.

Looks like I am not the only one who's making this today. I am pretty excited! I saw the recipe, and when I was shopping, picked up some Montrachet yeast, ans said "why not?"

Just so I dont have to browse 100+ pages, it does prime in a normal beer bottle right?

djhead said:
Just so I dont have to browse 100+ pages, it does prime in a normal beer bottle right?

Yup. Or you can bottle it still.

If you have anymore easy questions, Ed's has put together a FAQ on page 1, or post here most people don't mind answering easy questions.:mug:

Hey guys, I saved the bottles that my Apple Juice came in. I was wondering if the plastic bottles would be ok for bottling the Apfelwein when its finished ?

Just a 96 oz plastic bottle with a screw top.

Mutilated1 said:
Hey guys, I saved the bottles that my Apple Juice came in. I was wondering if the plastic bottles would be ok for bottling the Apfelwein when its finished ?

I've done it before when I made 6 gallons and kegged 5. The extra went into the jug and right into the fridge for immediate consumption. Hmmm Good.

Mutilated1 said:

I was thinking about doing this with my whole batch since I'm probably not going to carbonate. It would save a little time, and make a very easy bottling day. Let us know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back