Carbonation problems help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_Chad

Reaction score
I have only made four beers and apfelwein. On my first beer (a Canadian ale) I used all extract I had no secondary so, I bottled right from my primary to a five gallon bucket; this beer had excellent carbonation. On my seconded beer (a fosters clone) I used a partial extract partial grain with coopers yeast; I bought a secondary because I wanted cleaner beer it had just a little carbonation. On my third beer (a Amber Christmas ale) I used a partial recipe again with coopers yeast; used a primary and a secondary, and it was well carbonated. On my apfelwein I only used a primary and champaign wine yeast it had little carbonation also. I am fixing to bottle my forth beer (a apricot wheat ale) and I want to make sure it turns out well; I used a primary and a secondary. O.K. my liquors stay in a constant 70 degrees wile fermenting and bottling and priming. I added 1tsp of dextrose per 16oz bottle for my first three batches of beer then filled them, on my apfelwein I used two cups of hot tap water and 1/4 cup dextrose mixed the two together poured into a seven gallon bucket siphoned from secondary into bucket wile stirring until I had all five gallons into the bucket then filled my 16oz bottles with a bottle wand. I even poured out all of my fosters clone into my bucket let it sit for a couple of days and then primed it again; it was just the same. I ferment for seven days at 70 degrees, if applicable: transfer to secondary for three days at 70 degrees, and then bottle and prime for seven days at 70 degrees. Except for the apfelwein and the wheat beer. The apfelwein was in the primary for three and one half weeks until it was clear, and the wheat has been in the secondary for two weeks to date. I want to bottle it on Tuesday. I think I have told all. Am I doing something wrong? Why do I have all this fluctuation in carbonation?

First of fall, you need to wait at least 2 weeks, if not 3, to judge the amount of carbonation in your brew. Use the 1-2-3 weeks rule, 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary and 3 weeks in bottle. You must be patient! Also, I can guess that when measuring out dextrose individually, there will be a lot of variation in each bottle, so you should boil 2 cups of water, add the dextrose, let it cool a bit, and then mix it in the entire 5 gallon batch carefully. Hope that helps!

Jason

:mug: Well, the standard amount of priming sugar to add is 3/4 cups for a five gal. batch. Boil 2 cups of water add the priming sugar, put that in your bottling bucket and the siphon your brew on top of it. You can then gently stir to distribute the the primer and bottle as usual. It should carb up in 10 to 14 days.You might want to look at John palmer's " How to Brew" . It's on line and free, lots of good info there.:mug:

Did I read right? you let it sit for 7 days to carbonate? that too short a period of time- but I might have misunderstood you. I have had plenty of carb. problems too- though nothing that time didnt settle. I'd have not poured the fosters clone out- it really increased your risk of other mishaps. There are plenty of variables at play with this type of thing- but the primary and secondary are not so importent as the amount of pirming sugar and temp. The temp seems just fine- and for a five gal. batch- 5 ounces has neve done me wrong. I've had batches take as little as 13 days, and as long as four weeks. Most of my problems in the area have to do with uneven carbonation levels more than none at all.
I'd set up a solid procedure to bottle, and be consistent with it. And I have had a lot of success putting the sugar into simmered water (two or three cups) and adding it to the bottling bucket, and stirring it to ensure that its evenly spread.
I'd not worry about you past batches- and IMO flat beer is better than Over carbed beer-
I didnt spell check this- and I spell like a drunken five year old. So sorry if people get a head ache from spelling errors.
and Im on beer 5. This turned into an intersting sunday evening.

O.K. it sounds like I just need to let it prime longer after bottling. I had read some where that seven days was the correct amount of time for carbonation. I am currently reading John palmer's "How to Brew," online. Thanks for the information.

Back