Where to get Corny's filled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulrevere

Reaction score
Hello, I live in Valdosta, Georgia. I just purchased a kegerator and will have it all together within a week or so. What I may have forgot is to look for a place near me that fills/swaps corny kegs. Is anyone from the area? I would prefer to get corny's as I normally wouldn't have more than 2-3 people helping me out with the drinking. (though it can hold 1/2 barrel)

Just curious if anyone knows. I have tried a couple liquor stores and called a couple bars to no avail.

Appreciate it!

:mug:

Unfortunately the town I live in is small and we don't have a local brewery.

Can bars sometimes fill them? Is that something I would have to talk to the owner/manager about? I have tried to call a couple, but they didn't really know what I was asking I don't think as far as swapping them out..

I can't imagine a bar would pull beer off of their kegs to fill yours, but maybe you'll have some luck. The only places I have seen that fill corny's with beer are local breweries. Maybe someone else knows better than I do. Good luck :mug:

Better yet, start brewing and fill them yourself!

So, you're not making your own brew? If not, sounds like a good time to start! Or maybe find someone in your area that is making home brew and have him build you a batch.

Yeah, you might have a tough time without a brewery nearby. I have 3 local breweries and only 1 of them will fill my corny kegs. Usually costs me about $65 with tax. I drop it off and then pick it up cold and carbonated the next day.

If you are wanting commercial beer, why not build your kegerator with a sanky (commercial) tap and buy beers in commercial 1/6 BBL (5 gallon) kegs through your local beer store? Most micro breweries beers are available in the 5 gallon size and even some of the larger breweries have products in the smaller size.

If you are wanting commercial beer, why not build your kegerator with a sanky (commercial) tap and buy beers in commercial 1/6 BBL (5 gallon) kegs through your local beer store? Most micro breweries beers are available in the 5 gallon size and even some of the larger breweries have products in the smaller size.

And this is the other thing I do.. I currently have Brooklyn's lager and Sierra Nevada's pale ale on tap in 6th barrels I get from 5 points liquor.

1/6ths are the way to go. When Im dry for a bit, I order whatever I want that I can get in a 5 gal keg (a lot of options exist and it takes my beer wench 3-4 days to get it in) . I go to the LQ with an empty & sanitized corny, a jumper liquid to liquid line and my 5# co2 tank set up with a sanke dispenser. I dont even put a deposit down on the keg, just pay them the 35$-55$ for the keg, fill mine up and hand it back to them. Most of the time its pretty close to what I pay for a 5gal batch.

1/6ths are the way to go. When Im dry for a bit, I order whatever I want that I can get in a 5 gal keg (a lot of options exist and it takes my beer wench 3-4 days to get it in) . I go to the LQ with an empty & sanitized corny, a jumper liquid to liquid line and my 5# co2 tank set up with a sanke dispenser. I dont even put a deposit down on the keg, just pay them the 35$-55$ for the keg, fill mine up and hand it back to them. Most of the time its pretty close to what I pay for a 5gal batch.

WOW, you got me wondering if I can pull that off at my local commercial keg spot...that would be nice to just walk into the store, grab a keg, transfer it and just pay without deposit. Props on that! :mug:

wow thanks for all the help! Funny, how I did a google and saw someone from Valdosta posted here so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Also, I'm pretty new to the whole thing. 1/6th kegs and corneys are different? If 5 Points carries 1/6th I'll do that, but im not sure if I can fit 2 in the kegerator.

In the past(Omaha, NE) Friends had got kegs from a bar that swapped them out for us. That may have been a special case however.

Would love to start homebrewing eventually. Really just wanna start from the basics of setting this kegerator thing up and learning the ropes of that before I dive deeper.

The difference between a commercial 1/6 and a Corny is the connectors. Sankey vs. the separate in/out. It all depends on what your connection to gas and liquid are.

It is possible that they also have different dimensions, even though the volume is the same. Only way to know is to try it or measure.

The difference between a commercial 1/6 and a Corny is the connectors. Sankey vs. the separate in/out. It all depends on what your connection to gas and liquid are.

It is possible that they also have different dimensions, even though the volume is the same. Only way to know is to try it or measure.
A 1/6th barrel holds just slightly more volume than a corny typically will and they are different dimensions. Sabco used to convert cornies in to sanke kegs and my local brewery has a few of those so it's convenient because they are the exact same size as my corny kegs.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kegerators/HBF05EBSS-2.shtml

That is what I ordered for the Kegerator, after reading on this site I may have paid a bit much, but we'll see. Should be here on the 17th.

So given that setup, I included a D coupler. and will likely pick up a second. I also ordered the Y fitting just in case. Is the sankey what I ordered? bit confused

You could turn the kegerator off and leave the door open for a minute and see how much of the keg gets condensation on it. Kind of ghetto but its free. the condensated part is how much beer is left in the keg. as for the beer temp, just put a thermometer in there. you probably won't have a problem fitting two 1/6 in that kegerator. you may even be able to fit two slim 1/4 barrels in there, if 5 points can get them. you'd have to ask if they are the short fat pony kegs or the tall slim pony kegs.

Also after doing much more reading on here, does anyone have experience with these: http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf...hermometers/SmartStrip_beer_thermometer.shtml

to measure beer temp? is there a more permanent solution?

I have a few of those - I've never wiped it with a hot cloth though. just open the door and after a couple of minutes it changes color on its own - And condenses, so it's probably not really worth the $$.
For a thermometer, just put whatever thermometer you've got laying around in there. It'll work just fine.

ok, so everything came in. now i find out securing the tower to the top of the kegerator is a nightmare. the bracket holes in the lip of the tower are so close i cant drill/screw....

any hints? already stripped one screw, not sure if ill be able to get it out without some major miracle

ok, so everything came in. now i find out securing the tower to the top of the kegerator is a nightmare. the bracket holes in the lip of the tower are so close i cant drill/screw....

any hints? already stripped one screw, not sure if ill be able to get it out without some major miracle

Mark with sharpie - remove the tower - pilot drill - replace tower - screw in...

Back