freeze grains or leave in sealed bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigrigney

Reaction score
Hello all!

I order my supplies from AHB so they come in sealed bags. Should I leave my crushed grains in the sealed bag, or should I stick them in the freezer and take them out 24 hours prior to use? I read that some feel the freshness will be lost if not frozen.

It depends on when you plan on brewing...if you plan on it over the next 2 weeks then leave em sealed up...If not, then I guess you could freeze them.

If I know I won't be brewing for a few days I take the sealed bag and place it in my cooler..just so nothing gets to the (pets, children, rodents, etc) and having them in the cooler keeps them a little more sealed.

I leave them in the sealed bags and pop them into the freezer if it's going to be a few weeks until I use them.

If you're worrying about how to store them, relax, have a homebrew, and remember: they'll be fine in that sealed bag until you're ready to brew. If you're seriously looking into long term storage, get a grain mill and mill them yourself. Unmilled grain will last over a year in dry storage (probably longer).

I had a similar question about unused portions. I made a brew and had 4-8 oz left over of a few different grains. What is the best way to store them and how long will they keep?

Sealed container with as little air as possible (I use Ziploc freezer bags and push as much air as I can out of them) then pop them into the freezer.

But, you'd be okay just putting them in a sealed container at room temperature.

Not sure of the exact shelf life.

I suppose you could freeze the grains, but don't put them in the fridge... this could cause condensation that may turn into mold somewhere down the line. I would just keep them in the sealed bag somewhere out of the heat.

Back