About those rice hulls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
I used rice hulls for the first time this week on a wheat brew as a lesson learned from the last wheat I did (stuck sparge). I got the best efficiency that I ever got this time around. Other than wheat beer I have never had a stuck sparge. That said, do any of you use rice hulls every time you brew or is it a waste to use them other then on known brews that cause sparge problems? I'm just not sure that the hulls helped with efficiency or if I just had a righteous crush (so pretty it almost brought a tear to my eye). If they increase efficiency I suppose I would use them every time. Otherwise, save the cash and wait until I brew wheat again.

Only when I am using something that I am sure is going to stick like a cereal or something like that so no. Most of the beers I make have at least 50% wheat because I like them and they never get stuck.

Back