Has my wheat stalled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triathlete

Reaction score
Brewed a Brewer's Best wheat kit on November 24th. Checked the gravity Decmeber 8th and it was at 1.020, which is .004 off what it needs to be. Checked the gravity last night and it dropped a bit to 1.018. The recipe calls for the gravity to be between 1.014 and 1.016. The SG was at the upper limit of what the recipe called for which if I recall correctly was 1.050.

I think checking the gravity may have fired the yeast up again to get me down the .002 over the past few days. The sample tasted good and looks like a wheat. There is some brownish green mushy stuff that sticks to the siphon, is that anything to worry about?

Should I try and bottle this weekend or wait it out? Thanks for any help you can give.

The green mushy stuff is hop particles. Nothing to worry about there. As for the gravity, many factors could have stopped it there. Temperature, the yeasts effectiveness, unfermentables...... If it stays at the same gravity for 2-3 days you are pretty safe to bottle. Since this weekend will be 3 weeks you should be a green light to proceed. Enjoy your beer!

Thanks for the reply.

If it stays at 1.016 am I basically giving up a bit of ABV? No big deal, I could drink the stuff the way it is currently, even my wife likes it and she is a picky Weiss drinker.

Back