Your opinion on my low attenuating beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blak97

Reaction score
I have an amber that has been in the fermentor for 16 days (recipe below). OG = 1.062. Fermented at roughly 61-64 degrees steadily.The Beersmith estimated FG is 1.014, although I know that estimate is just an estimate. I took a refractometer reading a couple days ago, and again today. It is reading at the same level (I know it doesn't measure FG accurately, but I believe it can still monitor whether the gravity drops if the reading drops), which indicates fermentation should be done. However, the hydrometer SG reading is 1.018-1.020 at 16 days, which is a little high to me. I can't figure out whether it is a slightly stuck fermentation or just a slightly higher FG. I pitched US-05, so my attenuation rate is kind of low (~69-70%). Any guesses?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 1.5 gal
OG: 1.062 measured
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
6.8 oz Caramunich Malt
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt 80L
Cascade, Centennial hops

Mash Schedule: BIAB

60 min Mash 155.0 F

1.018 is not a bad FG for an amber ale, which should be maltier and more " caramelly " than other styles, so i think you will be fine.

That's an awful lot of crystal malt for a 1.5-gallon batch. Awful lot. The yeast is having a hard time eating the complex sugars in the crystal malt.

It's done. Enjoy.

If fg is stable it’s done, don’t worry too much about your fg once you taste it then you will know if you need to adjust your recipe or not

I’ve had beers finish at 1.020 that tasted crisp and dry let your tastebuds decide

That's an awful lot of crystal malt for a 1.5-gallon batch. Awful lot. The yeast is having a hard time eating the complex sugars in the crystal malt.

It's done. Enjoy.

What is a more appropriate amount (or fraction of grain bill) of crystal malt?

16 days and a constant gravity. I think it is ready. There's about 25% caramel malt and mash temp is not especially low -> I wouldn't be surprised it finishes at 1.018.

I adjusted the actual mash temp in Beersmith after reading your comment and realizing a higher mash temp will lower attenuation. My mash temp was a bit higher than what I put into Beersmith, and now the estimated FG with the actual mash temp is 1.017.

What is a more appropriate amount (or fraction of grain bill) of crystal malt?

For an amber, a max of 15% is recommended, and usually less. With a mash temperature of 155 and that much crystal malt (about 25% or so), you're lucky it went as low as 1.018.

When you use more than about 10-12% crystal in an amber, make sure you use plenty of bittering hops to balance it well. A well hopped amber can balance it out.

For an amber, a max of 15% is recommended, and usually less. With a mash temperature of 155 and that much crystal malt (about 25% or so), you're lucky it went as low as 1.018.

When you use more than about 10-12% crystal in an amber, make sure you use plenty of bittering hops to balance it well. A well hopped amber can balance it out.

+1

What are the expected adverse effects the high amount of crystal I used on the flavor? Asking because my hydrometer sample did not taste very good, cidery/wine-like, but I'm guessing that has more to do with acetaldehyde...? Honestly all my homebrews (which are not many) have that crappy cidery/wine-like flavor to it :/

I would give it more time before making conclusions. My first batch has improved a lot even in the bottle. A lot of crystal in beer would probably give it caramelly and not so crisp feel. More color as well.

I get alot of sweet flavors, almost strawberry from young s05, I know others who get that from s04, give it sometime I'm sure it'll be delicious!

Yup some folks get fruit/sweet from s-05 some don’t
I get a pretty neutral taste profile and it’s my goto dry yeast

Some folks get fruit/sweet from s-04 (I don’t, I get a strange tartness)
Other people describe s-04 as being quick and clean fermenting

Basically I’m saying try some other yeasts plenty of nice dry varieties out there now

Edit: this pertains to the cidery/wine flavor you are describing not the low attenuation

Last edited:
Maybe just me, but if I ever question attenuation I just "agitate" the yeast and warm up the temperature and see if anything happens. If nothing, then I transfer.

Back