M44 Stalled Again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobadays

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing my second Joe IPA clone (the first was great!) and am experiencing the same stalled ferment as last time.

I am brewing eBIAB method with recirculating mash.

Recipe:

RO water with 2 tsp gypsum

14# - 2-row
0.25# - nCrystal 40L
0.50# - Munich 10L
0.50# - White Wheat

0.75oz Simcoe - FWH
0.75oz Simcoe - 60min
0.25oz Amarillo - 30min
0.25oz Amarillo - 15min
0.50oz Mosaic - 5min
0.50oz Mosaic - Whirpool @ 205* (180-205)
2.00oz Simcoe - Dry Hop
0.50oz Amarillo - Dry Hop
1.50oz Mosaic - Dry Hop

60 minute mash @ 154* (I did a 90 minute on both batches)

Mangrove Jacks M44 West Coast Ale Yeast

Both batches: First 7 days fermented @ 65*-66* Then raised to 68*-69*

First brew was also first brew on the new eBIAB rig so... over heated and mashed in at about 168* stirred hard and recirculated but still took 20 minutes to reach my 154* mash temp. Used 8.5 gallons of water. Cooled the wort to 80* with CF chiller while dumping in the fermenter then waited 4 hours until temp dropped to 68* before pitching yeast. OG of 1.072. After the boil only ended up with just less than 5 gallons in the fermenter. SCREWED UP - pitched only 1 packet of M44 and just sprinkled it on top after 40 seconds of O2. Roughly 36 hours before the yeast were cooking away. In 13 days the SG was at 1.023 - gave it 3 more days, still at 1.023 It was still hazy, a bit yeasty but tasted nice so I dry hopped. Within 24 hours the airlock was going crazy with bubbles! I checked the SG 2 days later and it was at 1.021. 2 days later, 1.017, 2 more days it was at 1.014 - still a bit hazy but as it was supposed to finish 1.019 I decided to add gelatin and cold crash it to strip the yeast out and stop fermentation.

The beer cleared up nicely and was good if not great...though I think the yeast settling had to have stripped out some of the hops - it had more hop forward before I cold crashed it. It was not sweet at all. A brewmaster told me he liked the beer a lot and the only criticism was it was alcohol forward. It was an 8.14% beer...!

This-second brew: Again used more water - 9 gallons. I also monitored the boil a little better setting my PID at 60% rather than 70% on the first batch reducing my loss. Went to the fermenter with just over 5.5 gallons. This time I used a pre-cooler before my CF and was able to get into the fermenter @ 70* - after a 20 minute whirlpool and 20 minutes of settling before pumping out. Again pitched the yeast when the wort hit 68* - this time I re-hydrated 2 packages of M44 and poured them in. OG was 1.064 _ attribute this to more water?? But maybe just bad extraction.

All airlock activity stopped at about 5 days in, I waited until the 9th day to take the SG - 1.025. Waited 3 more days (today) 1.025. It hasn't budged. I have rocked the fermenter a few times the last couple days to see if that would wake up the yeasties but apparently not.

I will say this batch does not taste the same, not as citrus/grapefruity as the last batch at this point. The only variables are more water and more yeast??

My thoughts are to go ahead and Dry Hop this one now using half of the called for hops and see if it takes off as the last batch did.

Any suggestions...I'm at a loss here but I know it can't be finished yet...

Thanks!
Don
Primary 1 - Joe IPA clone
Promary 2 - APA
Kegged - nothing :-(
Bottled - APA
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout
Bottled - Rye IPA

"Bump"

For any who have checked in... I did search the forum for answers and though they run the gamut of helpful to guesses, I did glean enough info to find this is not horribly uncommon.

So, Dry Hopped 2 days ago with half the called for hops just to see if it would re-start the ferment, and yes it did - AGAIN! Took a reading this morning and the SG is down to 1.020 so .005 points in just 2 days. I will let this one finish completely this time regardless of how dry it gets just to see... then I plan to Dry Hop again with the full amount of called for hops. Fingers crossed!

The APA in the other fermenter has finished at 1.014 (from 1.060) so I dry hopped it today and should be ready to keg/cold crash in about 5 days. It was fermented with US-05. At least a new kegged beer to tide me over till the Joe IPA is ready.

Thanks!
Don
Primary 1 - Joe IPA clone
Promary 2 - APA
Kegged - nothing :-(
Bottled - APA
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout
Bottled - Rye IPA

Latest posts

Back