Biscuit Malt for an Oatmeal Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TenaciousJ

Reaction score
I'm putting together a recipe for an Oatmeal Stout. I want to add some bready/biscuity flavor. I know I'll get a some oil like texture/body from the oats, so i want to counter it with some biscuit malt. I thought about toasting the oats, but since I'm brewing this weekend I won't have enough time. I'm thinking about something like this as a grain bill:

70% pale ale 2-row
10% oats
10% biscuit malt
5% roasted barley
5% chocolate malt or black patent

my question: would 10% of biscuit be too much for an oatmeal stout?

IMO, that's too much biscuit, I'd keep it to less than 5% of the total grist. Also, I'd up the roast barley to 7% and stick with 5% chocolate malt. Good luck.

I agree that you should probably reduce the biscuit to 5%. I think your choc and RB are fine.

I make an oatmeal stout with 5% Aromatic malt, and I use a lot of British Fuggles in it. The bready-ness of the Aromatic combined with the earthy, woody, leaves-in-a-forest flavor of the Fuggles gives the beer this almost peanut-like flavor. Kinda like a Reese's cup. It's really delicious.

Aromatic is one of my favorite specialty grains because of its bready/nutty flavors.

IMO, that's too much biscuit, I'd keep it to less than 5% of the total grist. Also, I'd up the roast barley to 7% and stick with 5% chocolate malt. Good luck.

this was my initial concern.... i accidentally added about 1# of biscuit to a pumpkin ale and it turned out great. i was thinking this could lend itself nicely to a oatmeal stout.

great looking pints on your blog!

I agree that you should probably reduce the biscuit to 5%. I think your choc and RB are fine.

I make an oatmeal stout with 5% Aromatic malt, and I use a lot of British Fuggles in it. The bready-ness of the Aromatic combined with the earthy, woody, leaves-in-a-forest flavor of the Fuggles gives the beer this almost peanut-like flavor. Kinda like a Reese's cup. It's really delicious.

Aromatic is one of my favorite specialty grains because of its bready/nutty flavors.

thanks for the suggestion. i haven't brewed with aromatic yet... maybe this is the perfect opportunity.

Back