Harbor Freight Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't buy any thermometer you can't calibrate. They will lose calibration, and essentially you're going to chuck it, or test how many degrees it's off every time you brew. You can find an analog thermo with a sleeve that has a built in calibration wrench for a couple bucks at most kitchen supply stores, if price is a huge issue.

Otherwise spend the 20 bucks for a decent digital thermo with calibration options.

I know that Harbor Freight is probably a polarizing topic, but I can't stand them. The only thing I've ever bought from them that is not complete garbage was an aluminum ATV ramp. You get what you pay for there.

I got one of those along with a few other thermometers. All of them were not accurate enough for me. If/when you are doing All Grain (AG) the difference of 2-5F can be alot when your trying mash at certain temps. If your on a tight budget, I would stick with a normal red liquid in glass thermometer and test it at boiling temp.

For now I use a CDN thermometere I got from Amazon. Reads quickly and accurately for me.

I have two of these Polder Thermometers with the probe on a cord.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P6FLOY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The picture on Amazon is wrong. The cord is actually silicon and not the stainless mesh (old picture on Amazon). The old style with stainless mesh cord will not work if submerged in liquid. I love them. They are both accurate to 1 degree in boiling water and I have not had either one leak. I use them in the mash ton and kettle. They have temp alert to let you know when you hit the desired strike water temp and the timer is handy also. I don't need to open my MLT to check the temp either. I leave the probe in the mash and put the lid back on the MLT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back