Can yeast starter be saved? (Reply needed today if possible.)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have two batches of yeast starter that have been going for 2 days and appear ready to use. My brewing is going to be delayed for 3 more days and thus I would like to know if it is possible to save these batches of yeast starter or should I just plan to start over later? The tops of the liquid is fairly clear so I was thinking of decanting the liquid at the top and refrigerate the remaining contents in sealed glass jars.

Is this a good idea or should I just order more starter for later in the week?

Thanks,

Mick

Throw it in the fridge you should be fine. I made a starter and had to hold off 2 and a half weeks before brew day I left it in the flask with the foil on it. Beer turned out great.

Not if you use it soon.

Stick it in the fridge (don't decant yet) and cover with a sanitized piece of foil. On brewday, just decant the spent wort and let it rise to room temperature. Ideally, it's be the same temperature as the wort when you pitch. (Or just a couple degrees cooler).

Back