Wort Chiller Design Issue Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonabb

Reaction score
I came across a short piece of copper tubing, 1/2 O.D. about 22 feet. In order to maximize it, I intended to construct the risers out of solid pipe and connenct to the coil itself with soldered fittings, such as a street 45 and 90 elbow on the bottom to connect the longer riser and some elbows and rigid pipe on the top.

However, because the OD is 1/2" I need 3/8 nominal fittings, which no one carries. I do however happen to have a handful of 1/2 to 3/8 reducers which would allow me to constructed the risers out of actual 1/2 rigid pipe.

That leaves me with this issue... the water coming in would be reduced from the a larger inside diamater from the hose down into the chiller, which to me is not an issue. However, the issue is that the outlet end will bump up, which might increase the speed of water through the chiller (not bad right) but also I was wonder if that would result in air in the chiller because it's going out to fast?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bobby I was hoping you would chime in! Great, that can save me a little money since I have the materials lying around. If I had to go with 3/8 fitting, I'd have to buy all new parts and somehow come across additional tubing without buying a new coil since I would only need 2+ feet, not 25!

BTW, you're youtube video on constructing the chiller helped with this design. I like that better than bending the tubing.

Pretty much... the 3/8 ID coil to 1/2 ID reducer (in this case an expander!) to a 45 street elbow to a 90 elbow to the solid pipe riser. Top of the coild is the reducer to 90 elbow and then the riser, which I'll get the risers to the same height, put 90 elbows on both and then I'm not sure. Could put a short section of pipe and solder on hose barbs for some larger hose, not really sure. Trying to solve on problem at a time!!!!!!!!

However, the issue is that the outlet end will bump up, which might increase the speed of water through the chiller

If you go from a small area to a larger area, that will slow the water down, that is how a diffuser works.

A1V1=A2V2 assuming constant density, which is true for water.

A is area and V is velocity. As A2 increases V2 decreases.

Back