Adding Nut Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

31FIFTY

Reaction score
I have an English style brown ale in primary and I will be reracking it this weekend. Can I add any type of nut extract for flavoring when I rack it to secondary?

If so, what's the process like? I added a couple pinches of cinnamon midway and towards the end of the boil and I think some nuttiness might go well since Rouge's Hazelnut Extract is one of my fav's.

Mahalo in advance for any guidance.

There is probably no need to rack it. You can try some extract, I've used vanilla, about 1.5 ounces in 5 gallons. It is a bit strong at first but mellows over several weeks...extracts do that. Just be careful and add slowly because you cannot undo it!

31FIFTY said:
I have an English style brown ale in primary and I will be reracking it this weekend. Can I add any type of but extract for flavoring when I rack it to secondary?

If so, what's the process like? I add a couple pinches of cinnamon midway and towards the end of the boil and I think some nuttiness might go well since Rouge's Hazelnut Extract is one of my fav's.

Mahalo in advance for any guidance.

I would not recommend butt extract. Tastes awful :)

Haha NUT! Lol

No need to rack it? So you don't use a secondary? Just primary to bottles? I'm a newbie

31FIFTY said:
Haha NUT! Lol

No need to rack it? So you don't use a secondary? Just primary to bottles? I'm a newbie

You want to add your boiled priming sugar mixture and the extract to your bottling bucket, then rack your beer on top of it, making sure it swirls well without splashing. Then you bottle right away.

A secondary is usually the term used for a bright tank, a vessel your beer is going to sit in for a week or more while more yeast drops out of suspension. I don't think any other topic is more controversial on here, but it's all a matter of preference whether you use a bright tank or not.

Ok thanks. I've met guys who just used a primary fernenter for weeks and then bottled but the brew store said to use a secondary bucket for another 7 days after primary fermentation has ended...?

Only on my 3rd batch so I'm open. I'd rather not rerack and add a chance to contaminate my beer.

31FIFTY said:
Ok thanks. I've met guys who just used a primary fernenter for weeks and then bottled but the brew store said to use a secondary bucket for another 7 days after primary fermentation has ended...?

Only on my 3rd batch so I'm open. I'd rather not rerack and add a chance to contaminate my beer.

I've never used a secondary and never had any problems. But to each his own.

Cool thanks. 2 Q's.

How long for a brown ale in primary? Avg temp around 70.

Do you find that your bottles have more yeast than if you would've used secondary?

the brew store said to use a secondary bucket for another 7 days after primary fermentation has ended...?

I subscribe to the theory that secondaries are only useful for dry-hopping, adding fruit/oak/etc, or long aging (more than 3 months).

One of my co-workers uses a secondary on every batch because it makes sense to him, even though he will be the first to tell you that my beer is better! :ban:

What is the OG of the beer? The higher the OG, the longer I let it sit in the primary. As for extra yeast in the bottles, you can't really tell. I mean, yeast are microscopic.

Edit...just realized you are probably taking about the sediment at the bottom. But no, no real difference in my opinion.

Cool thanks. 2 Q's.

How long for a brown ale in primary? Avg temp around 70.

Do you find that your bottles have more yeast than if you would've used secondary?

Three weeks is my standard for basic beers like a brown ale. I do end up with more yeast in my bottle than I need to, but that's mostly because I am a tight-wad and try to siphon out every last ounce.

Two days of cold-crashing and careful siphoning will get your beer just as clear as using a secondary.

I added Hazelnut extract to my Sweet Chocolate stout to make the "Nutella Stout" recipe...just treat it like priming sugar....pour into bucket, rack on top of it...then bottle. Or in my case i poured it in the keg, then racked on top of it.

I am just now sampling a Brown Ale that I added 1 oz hazelnut flavoring to the bottling bucket. It is OK, but would use half that much in a 5 gal batch in the future.

Fuzzel:

How'd the Nutella turn out? Sounds delish!

So do you boil the extract like you do the priming sugar? ....for fear that the extract may not be sterile right out of the package and may mess up your beer?

Fuzzel:

So do you boil the extract like you do the priming sugar? ....for fear that the extract may not be sterile right out of the package and may mess up your beer?

ditto, and how much extract did you use? (i see bigcorona used 1oz and might have been a bit much, but i love hazelnut so I'd probably like it)

i'm trying to make a hazelnut brown akin to Sam Adams "Hazel". I bought the Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar clone kit from AHS, but the reviews said the hazelnut taste was almost nonexistent (as I felt about the actual Rogue beer itself when I tried it)

trying to figure out how much extra hazelnut I should add, and whether or not it needs boiling.

i'm trying to make a hazelnut brown akin to Sam Adams "Hazel". I bought the Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar clone kit from AHS, but the reviews said the hazelnut taste was almost nonexistent (as I felt about the actual Rogue beer itself when I tried it)

Don't boil your extract. It is too volatile and will loose a ton of flavor/aroma.

On a side note, I had a Downtown Brown by Lost Coast last month and all I could taste was hazelnut. My wife loved it, but I've never liked hazelnut myself. Makes my coffee taste muddy.

Fuzzel:

This is the recipe, my notes for extra chocolate and pic are at the bottom. As you can see it came out super dark, tried shining a LED flashlight through it and the light doesnt make a dent.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/6549/nutella-stout

It turned out pretty damn good honestly, probably my favorite extract...i want to try and remake it with AG some time in the future now that i can.

The recipe called for 2 oz of Hazelnut extract and thats what i used, its not overpowering at all, but thats mostly i think because of the heavy chocolate use to level it out...i mean its 3/4ths of a cup of Baking cocoa in the boil, and then you rack on top of 8oz of Cocoa nibs for a week, not to mention all of the chocolate steeping grains...thats a lot of chocolate. And its a "Nutella Stout", you would expect a noticeable hazelnut flavor, otherwise its just a sweet chocolate stout. That said, i did order the exact same extract he linked too, mostly because i cant find anyone else selling it thats not meant for coffee...i cant speak for the potency of other extracts and how much to use or for other beer styles. All you can do is put some in your bottling bucket, rack on top of it, sample it, and go from there...if you need more you could always just rack it again to your previous bucket with more extract, or just put some in and give it a slow stir for a few seconds.

You shouldnt boil the extract, i just dipped the top of it in some starsan solution, cracked it open and dumped it into my keg then transferred the beer in. No issues, but then again even when i get lax with my sanitation sometimes, i have yet to have an infection. I mean its coming from a brewing website, if the liquid inside isnt sanitized from them i dont know who to trust...just make sure to sanitize the lid/top area where your pouring out then dump it in.

I don't always do secondaries, but I do whenever there's an addition like an extract. 1.5 oz : 5g is a good ratio. I have found that the liqueur flavoring extracts like you get at the LHBS impart a more astringent character to the beer that takes a lot longer to settle out than the cooking extracts from the grocery store.

For my chocolate hazelnut stout, I let primary complete for 4-5 weeks, then rack to secondary on top of the extract. Then I let it get happy and meld for 6-8 weeks (until my taste buds tell me it's ready), cold crash it and keg it. If you bottle it, same process, just rack a second time onto your priming solution when you are ready to cap it up.

I don't always do secondaries, but I do whenever there's an addition like an extract. 1.5 oz : 5g is a good ratio. I have found that the liqueur flavoring extracts like you get at the LHBS impart a more astringent character to the beer that takes a lot longer to settle out than the cooking extracts from the grocery store.

For my chocolate hazelnut stout, I let primary complete for 4-5 weeks, then rack to secondary on top of the extract. Then I let it get happy and meld for 6-8 weeks (until my taste buds tell me it's ready), cold crash it and keg it. If you bottle it, same process, just rack a second time onto your priming solution when you are ready to cap it up.

Heh

25813196.jpg

I am just now sampling a Brown Ale that I added 1 oz hazelnut flavoring to the bottling bucket. It is OK, but would use half that much in a 5 gal batch in the future.

Just to follow up, after another couple weeks bottle conditioning, and another couple weeks in the beer fridge, the hazelnut flavor has tamed down and it is a very enjoyable brew.

I made a Hazelnut Brown Ale and I added the about 5 ounces of the following to the primary after 3 weeks.

http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/catalog/davinci-small-davinci-sugar-free-hazelnut-syrup-375ml-p-1903.html

After that addition, it was very strong and I worried I killed the beer. However, in week 4, I gave it a taste and it mellowed out some, which was 1 full week of the addition soaking in. Now, in week 5, I it really settled out and has really improved. I am very satisfied.

I didn't use a true hazelnut extract but, my advice no matter what you use, don't add 5 ounces up front. I screwed up in doing that and will next time add 1 ounce and sit for a day and gather a taste, with each tasting adding another ounce until I like it.

Can anyone who's used Frangelico comment on its effectiveness/flavor contribution? My LHBS recommended using 1.5 cups at bottling for both flavor and priming.

Back